Eagles Route Evansville Aces, 5-2
The doubles point and singles wins from Ali Beavers, Melanie Rolle, Jessica Fuller and Shea Huxtable propelled the Eagles to the non-conference victory. “It was a good competition match and will help prepare us for tomorrow’s conference match,” said head coach Amy Bonner.
Georgia Southern quickly clinched the doubles point with the first two matches off the court at the three and two seeds, respectively. Beavers and Emma Knight paired up at the No. 3 position to crush Stephanie Millis and Payal Sharma by an 8-0 decision. Christine Caforio and Rolle, competing at the two seed, gave the Eagles the early advantage clinching the doubles point over Ashton Schwerin and Pin Sorenson, 8-1.
The doubles set the pace of the match as Georgia Southern secured the win over the Aces with the first three singles matches off the court. Fuller walked off the court first taking with her a straight set, 6-0, 6-1 decision over Allie Cox from the five position. Huxtable pushed the score to 3-0 when she cruised to an identical match score over Millis from the No.6 seed. Moments later, Rolle conquered Sorenson in a 6-1, 6-2 fashion from the four position to clinch the match for Georgia Southern.
With the match decision already set, Beavers tacked on another point for the Eagles as she went undefeated in play this morning. Beavers ousted Schwerin in straight 6-2 sets before Theadora Kotsiou and Kate Chybowski put Evansville on the board with a singles wins from the three and one positions, respectively.
Georgia Southern returns to conference action at home welcoming Appalachian State to the Hanner Tennis Complex on Saturday, March 7. First serve is slated for noon.
Georgia Southern 5, Evansville 2
1. Kate Chybowski/Theadora Kotsiou (EU) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Molly Maddox (GSU) 9-7
2. Christine Caforio/Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Ashton Schwerin/Pin Sorenson (EU) 8-1 *
3. Ali Beavers/Emma Knight (GSU) d. Stephanie Millis/Payal Sharma (EU) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Kate Chybowski (EU) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Ashton Schwerin (EU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Theadora Kotsiou (EU) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 4-6, 6-0, 10-7
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Pin Sorenson (EU) 6-1, 6-2 *
5. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Allie Cox (EU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Stephanie Millis (EU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 6, 4, 2, 3, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 06 March 2009 00:03