Spartans Thwart Eagles in SoCon Battle
The day opened with the Eagles dropping the doubles point as the Spartans won two of three matches. No. 3 Huxtable and Fuller easily tallied an 8-2 victory over Jessica Eblen and Britney Cloer to take the first match off the court. But UNCG turned around and claimed the final two doubles matches to clinch the point and the early lead heading into singles play.
The Spartans lost no momentum in singles action, securing the conference win taking the first three matches off the court. With the match decision already set, Georgia Southern got on the board as Rolle, playing at the No. 4 seed for the fourth time this season, dropped Cloer in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5. Rolle improved to a 6-2 dual action record, 10-4 overall, on the season with the win. After the Spartans added another victory at the five seed, Huxtable kept her slate clean on the day as she rolled past Eblen at the No. 6 position. Huxtable dropped the opening set 6-1, but rallied back to take the second 7-5 to head into a match tiebreaker where Huxtable was victorious by a 10-7 margin.
“We hated not to come away with a win today, but we will regroup and come together as a team for our next conference match against Samford,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We will learn from our experience after winning a close match yesterday and losing a close match today.”
The Eagles return home on Tuesday after concluding this five-match road series. Georgia Southern will host Jacksonville at the Hanner Tennis Complex with a first serve start of 2:30 p.m.
UNC Greensboro 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Alejandra Guerra/Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Ali Beavers (GSU) 8-3
2. Valerie Behr/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) d. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-2
3. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Jessica Eblen/Britney Cloer (UNG) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 69 Alejandra Guerra (UNCG) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Valerie Behr (UNCG) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Britney Cloer (UNCG) 6-3, 7-5
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Jessica Eblen (UNCG) 1-6, 7-5, 10-7
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 22 February 2009 00:05