Eagles Fall to Davidson in Quarterfinal Match of SoCon Tournament
ELON, N.C. Sophomore Melanie Rolle took a straight set victory over Ali Gores at the four position as the Georgia Southern women’s tennis team fell in the quarterfinal round of the Southern Conference Tournament to Davidson Friday morning (April 24). The Wildcats took the 4-1 decision with the doubles point and three singles victories. Georgia Southern concluded the 2009 season with 13-7 overall mark and 7-3 in conference play.
Davidson jumped out to take a tough doubles point with victories at the one and two seeds. Michele Fanney and Virginia Berry closed out an 8-3 decision over Kristi Kegerreis and Molly Maddox at the top seed before Alison Rauh and Lora Dushanova rallied back to capture an 8-4 decision over
Rolle and Christine Caforio.
The Wildcats secured the quarterfinal win with three straight set singles nods. Berry and Dushanova pushed Davidson to a 3-0 advantage with wins at the two and six seeds, respectively. Berry finished first taking with her a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Ali Beavers before Dushanova put the finishing touches on a straight set 6-1 victory over senior Shea Huxtable.
Rolle recorded the Eagles’ lone victory of the morning at the four seed to push her overall record to 20-5 for the year. The Gainesville, Fla. native dropped only three games en route to the 6-1, 6-2 victory.
Davidson clinched the match from the top position as Fanney took a 6-2, 6-3 decision on Kegerreis to move to the semifinal round where they will take on No. 1 Furman on Saturday at 10 a.m. Davidson improved to 12-11 overall this season with the win.
“Unfortunately we didn’t come away with a win today, but I’m extremely proud of all the accomplishments we had during our regular season,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We are looking forward to a promising 2010 season.”
Davidson 4, Georgia Southern 1
1. Michele Fanney/Virginia Berry (DAV) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Molly Maddox (GSU) 8-3
2. Alison Rauh/Lora Dushanova (DAV) d. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-4*
3. Ali Gores/Molly McDevitt (DAV) vs. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU), 6-6, DNF
Order of finish: 1, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Michele Fanney (DAV) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-2, 6-3*
2. Virginia Berry (DAV) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alison Rauh (DAV) vs. Molly Maddox (GSU) 2-6, 3-0, DNF
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Ali Gores (DAV) 6-1, 6-2
5. Molly McDevitt (DAV) vs. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-7 (1-7), 5-0, DNF
6. Lora Dushanova (DAV) d. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 24 April 2009 13:05