Georgia Southern Tops Gardner-Webb, 5-2
The Lady Eagles set the pace of the match early on in the doubles competition, taking the point and jumping out to the early 1-0 advantage. The Bulldogs took the first doubles match at the three seed over Shea Huxtable (Winter Springs, Fla.) and Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.), 8-6. But Georgia Southern quickly rebounded with a win from Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) at the two seed. The Eagle duo put Georgia Southern on the board with an 8-5 win. Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) sealed the doubles point for the Lady Eagles with a dominant 8-4 victory over Rita Gouveia and Laura Kriett at the one seed.
Rolle quickly gave Georgia Southern a 2-0 advantage with a convincing, 6-2, 6-1, singles win over Gouveia at the four seed. With a 6-3, 6-2 win by Huxtable at the six seed, the Lady Eagles found themselves within one win to clinch the match. Beavers sealed the win for Georgia Southern at the two seed. Beavers took down Gomez, 7-5, 6-1, to clinch the match for the Lady Eagles.
The Bulldogs put themselves on the board with a victory at the one seed by Kriett. But Georgia Southern went ahead 5-1 when Fuller came back from a set down to win her match at the five seed over Ellis. Fuller dropped the first set, 1-6, but claimed the second, 6-3, and crushed Ellis in the third, 6-0. Gardner-Webb closed out the match with a win at the three seed.
“I’m very proud of the team to come out and compete the way we did,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We knew it was going to be a close match, but we got off to a good start with the doubles point. We competed hard in singles and came out on top.”
Georgia Southern returns to action when they travel to Florida to take on Central Florida, February 13. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 5, Gardner-Webb 2
1. Kristi Kegerreis/Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Rita Gouveia/Laura Kriett (GWU) 8-4 *
2. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Jenny Gomez/Tavenner Black (GWU) 8-5
3. Amy Beavers/Kasey Ellis (GWU) d. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Laura Kriett (GWU) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Jenny Gomez (GWU) 7-5, 6-1 *
3. Amy Beavers (GWU) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Rita Gouveia (GWU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Kasey Ellis (GWU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Tavenner Black (GWU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 2, 1, 5, 3
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 07 February 2009 00:16