Eagles Blank Pirates, 7-0
STATESBORO, GA – Led by three seniors, seven Eagles combined for a team sweeping, 7-0, over Hampton Sunday afternoon (Feb. 21) at the Hanner Tennis Complex. No matches were dropped as Georgia Southern improved to 4-2 overall, handing the Pirates (1-1) their first loss of the season.
“I was proud of our team stepping up and performing so well this weekend, especially after suffering such a tough loss last weekend,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “Our seniors played great today and really displayed their leadership on this team.”
Traveling with only five players, Hampton was forced to default on one doubles match and one singles match before the start of play. To open doubles, Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) and Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) teamed up to hand Barenese Myers and Maria Ycaza an 8-1 loss at the two seed to clinch the point. The Eagles added another victory at the one doubles position as Christine Caforio (Acowrth, Ga.) and Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) topped Jovanna Sangria and Tabita Daolio, 8-4.
Georgia Southern moved through singles action quickly, capturing all five courts playing in straight sets. Alexandra Langmo (Boca Raton, Fla.) recorded her first collegiate dual match win dropping only one game to Janelle Small. Langmo cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 decision before senior Fuller clinched the match at the three seed. The Eagle topped Ycaza, 6-0, 6-2, to seal the win for Georgia Southern.
Fellow senior Kegerreis improved to 5-1 in dual match play with a 6-0,6-2 crushing of Daolio at the two seed. The Eagles added two more singles wins to finalize the 7-0 sweep at the four and one seeds. Allison Beeler (Alpharetta, Ga.) downed Myers with 6-3, 6-1 sets, while Rolle, challenging Sangria at the top singles seed, edged the Pirate, 6-1,6-3 to complete the scoring.
Georgia Southern closed out this three-match homestand with the win and travel to Georgia State on Friday, February 26. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 7, Hampton 0
Records: GSU 4-2, HU 1-1
1. Christine Caforio/Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Jovanna Sangria/Tabita Daolio (HU) 8-4
2. Melanie Rolle/Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Barenese Myers/Maria Ycaza (HU) 8-1*
3. Allison Beeler/Alexandra Langmo (GSU) d. NO PLAYER
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Jovanna Sangria (HU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Tabita Daolio (HU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Maria Ycaza (HU) 6-0, 6-2*
4. Allison Beeler (GSU) d. Barenese Myers (HU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alexandra Langmo (GSU) d. Janelle Small (HU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Taylor Jones (GSU) d. NO PLAYER
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 21 February 2010 19:09