Georgia Southern Unable to Overcome Deficit
STATESBORO, Ga. - Playing its third match in four days, the Georgia Southern Women's Tennis (8-9, 2-6 SoCon) team could not overcome an early deficit, falling 7-0 to College of Charleston (14-7, 6-0 SoCon) Tuesday afternoon at Hanner Tennis Complex.
The Eagles were forced to play from behind all afternoon, being swept in doubles action to go down 1-0 heading into singles play. High winds during play did not benefit GSU, who tried to make adjustments throughout the match to regain ground. A relentless effort by all six seeds fell short with Cougar victories on each court, clinching the match at the number-three spot.
Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.), who moved up to play number-two singles, pushed her match to a super tiebreaker before yielding the closing points. Rolle won the first set 7-5, before a second-set loss forced the super tiebreaker. The senior fought in the super tiebreaker to go up 9-7 before Charleston's Emma Hayman won by a 13-11 score.
Georgia Southern concludes its six-match homestand and home regular season with UNC Greensboro Friday, April 8th, at 2:30 p.m. Friday's match against UNC Greensboro is Senior Day for the Women's Tennis team. Georgia Southern will honor three seniors Ali Beavers, Ashley Hungerford and Melanie Rolle for their contributions to the program in a pre-match ceremony.
Fans can follow Eagle Women's Tennis at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/wtennis and receive short updates at facebook.com/GSAthletics or twitter.com/GSAthletics. Scores of matches are posted at twitter.com/GSScores.
College of Charleston 7, Georgia Southern 0
Apr 5, 2011 at Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. Christin Newman (Charleston) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Emma Hayman (Charleston) def. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 5-7, 6-3, 13-11
3. Caroline Newman (Charleston) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Katie Lee (Charleston) def. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Kelly Kambourelis (Charleston) def. Allison Beeler (GSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Keely Mulligan (Charleston) def. Alexandra Langmo (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,6,3,4,1,2
1. Emma Hayman/Irene Viana (Charleston) def. Paola Garrido/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) 8-0
2. Kinsey Casey/Katie Lee (Charleston) def. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 8-4
3. Christin Newman/Jamie Harrell (Charleston) def. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-2
Order of finish: 1,3,2
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Tuesday, 05 April 2011 21:25