Bulldogs Narrowly Edge Eagles 4-3
POWDER SPRINGS, Ga. - Strong doubles action wasn’t enough to help the Georgia Southern women’s tennis team capture its first victory of the season, as Samford (2-0) narrowly defeated the Lady Eagles 4-3 on Saturday, at the Lost Mountain Tennis Center in Powder Springs, Ga.
GSU (0-2, 0-0 SoCon) swept doubles play earning the doubles point and giving the Eagles an early advantage. Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) defeated Samford’s pair of Anna Jackson and Katie Weaver 8-6 from the No. 1 singles position. The win gave Georgia Southern its first victory in doubles this season. Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) captured the first victory of her collegiate career with teammate Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) as the freshmen duo downed Taylor Morgan and Lindsay Mallory 8-7(8).
“I was really proud of the way we played,” said GSU women’s tennis coach Amy Bonner. “We fought hard to win the doubles point against a talented Samford team.”
Kegerreis and Rolle both moved to 2-0 on the season in individual play earning victories from the No.1 and No. 2 slots respectively. Kegerreis controlled Jackson winning 6-3, 7-6(1), while Rolle upended Rebecca Kirven in straight sets 6-0, 6-4.
The match was decided at No. 6 singles as Katie Weaver used three sets to help seal the victory for the Bulldogs. Sophomore Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) gave Weaver all she could handle coming up just short, falling 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.
“Today’s match was really close,” said Bonner. “It was a really long competitive match. It was our second 4-3 loss, but we’re going to keep competing and keep working hard.”
Georgia Southern returns to action tomorrow, as they travel to Atlanta, Ga. to compete against Georgia State. The match is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m.
1. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Anna Jackson/Katie Weaver (SU) 8-6
2. Ali Beavers/Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Taylor Morgan/Lindsay Mallory (SU) 8-7 (8)
3. Jessica Matlosz/Molly Maddox (GSU) d. Rebecca Kirven/ Andrie Meiring (SU) 8-4
1. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Anna Jackson (SU) 6-3, 7-6(1)
2. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Rebecca Kirven (SU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Taylor Morgan (SU) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Lindsay Mallory (SU) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Andrie Meiring (SU) d. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Katie Weaver (SU) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
Category: Women's Tennis
Published on Saturday, 02 February 2008 00:27