Rolle Clinches 4-3 Win Over Coastal Carolina
Coastal Carolina took the first doubles match off the courts, walking away with an 8-4 win from the No. 3 seed as Mary Hill and Paty Cortes defeated Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) and Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.), 8-4. But GS picked up a win at the two seed to even the playing field. Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) downed Webb and Maria Camberos, 8-6, leaving the doubles point decision at the top seed. Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) secured the early match lead for Georgia Southern, clinching the point with a tight 9-7 doubles win over Lexi Bolesky and Miki Bunea.
Moving into singles play, CCU erased Georgia Southern’s lead, grabbing a straight set victory at the two seed to even the playing field. But wins from No. 6 and No. 4 would quickly put the Eagles within one match to clinch the win.
Fuller dropped only three games to Hill, crushing the Chanticleer from the six seed, 6-2, 6-1, moments before Kegerreis dominated Camberos for a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 4.
CCU drew the score to 3-2 with a Bunea win over Beavers at the top seed, but junior Rolle would seal the non-conference win for Georgia Southern before the Chanticleers could tie the match. Rolle dropped the first set, 6-4, to Webb, but turned around and stole the next two sets without dropping a game in the midst. The junior completed the three-match win, 4-6, 6-0, 6-0 to clinch the overall match for Georgia Southern. Cortes closed out the contest with a win at the five seed for the final 4-3 score.
Georgia Southern next returns to the hard courts on Sunday, Feb. 21 with another non-conference match-up taking on Hampton at 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 4, Coastal Carolina 3
Records: Georgia Southern 3-2, Coastal Carolina 5-1
1. Ali Beavers/Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Lexi Bolesky/Miki Bunea (CC) 9-7*
2. Melanie Rolle/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) d. Kim Webb/Maria Camberos (CC) 8-6
3. Mary Hill/Paty Cortes (CC) d. Natalie Maffett/Jessica Fuller (GSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Miki Bunea (CC) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 7-6 (3), 6-1
2. Lexi Boleskey (CC) d. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Kim Webb (CC) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0*
4. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Maria Camberos (CC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Paty Cortes (CC) d. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 2-6, 7-5, forfeit
6. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Mary Hill (CC) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 1, 3, 5
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 20 February 2010 22:04