Women's Tennis Shuts Out Davidson 7-0
DAVIDSON, N.C. - The Georgia Southern Women's Tennis team (5-5, 1-2 SoCon) won the doubles point and then swept through the singles for a 7-0 victory over Davidson Saturday, March 12th. The Eagles won in straight sets in all the singles matches at Knobloch Tennis Center to post their first Southern Conference win of 2011.
"I was very proud of the way our team competed today," said Eagle Head Coach Amy Bonner. "We played strong and came out on top. I hope we can carry this momentum into our match against Appalachian State tomorrow."
Freshmen Paola Garrido (Vigo, Spain) and Caitlin Kitchen (Kennesaw, Ga.) picked up the win at number-one doubles when Davidson's Stephani Synn and Nisha Crouser were unable to finish the match. The tandem of sophomore Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) and senior Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Ga.) clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win over the Wildcats' Samantha Galainena and Romina Clemente.
Senior Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) cruised to her third-straight win at number-two singles with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Davidson's Nisha Crouser. Classmate Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) also won her third consecutive match, defeating Elise Held in straight sets with a 6-4, 6-2 at the number-five seed. Playing at number-four singles, Maffett sealed the win for the Eagles and gave up only three games in her 6-1, 6-2 win over Clemente.
Garrido topped Davidson's Alison Rauh in the number-one singles spot, taking the match 6-3, 6-3. Rolle faced Galainena at No. 3 and took the first-set win 6-2 before capturing the second set, 7-5. Alessandra Dzuba (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) finished off the afternoon with her 7-5, 6-3 win over Katharine Dicconson in the number-six slot.
The Eagles continue their weekend road trip on Sunday with a 12 p.m. match against Appalachian State.
Fans can follow Eagle Women's Tennis at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/wtennis and receive short updates at facebook.com/GSAthletics or twitter.com/GSAthletics. Scores of matches are posted at twitter.com/GSScores.
Georgia Southern 7, Davidson 0
Mar 12, 2011 at Davidson, N.C.
Knobloch Tennis Center
1. Paola Garrido (GSU) def. Alison Rauh (Davidson) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) def. Nisha Crouser (Davidson) 6-1, 6-1
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) def. Samantha Galainena (Davidson) 6-2, 7-5
4. Natalie Maffett (GSU) def. Romina Clemente (Davidson) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) def. Elise Held (Davidson) 6-4, 6-2
6. Alessandra Dzuba (GSU) def. Katharine Dicconson (Davidson) 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,5,4,1,3,6
1. Paola Garrido/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) def. Stephani Synn/Nisha Crouser (Davidson) 1-3, retired
2. Alison Rauh/Brites Moniz-Soares (Davidson) def. Ali Beavers/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 8-6
3. Natalie Maffett/Melanie Rolle (GSU) def. Samantha Galainena/Romina Clemente (Davidson) 8-3
Order of finish: 1,3,2
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 12 March 2011 20:28