Singles Propels Georgia Southern to 6-1 Victory Over Wofford
“I was proud of the team to come back and win all singles matches after being swept in doubles,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We didn’t play bad in doubles; we just had a lot of unforced errors and made some mistakes. But I’m proud of the team coming together and winning the match in singles.”
Down 1-0, Georgia Southern used four consecutive singles tilts to clinch the SoCon match-up. Shea Huxtable evened the match score at 1-all dropping only three games en route to a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Kristen Demosthenes at the six seed. Huxtable has now won seven of the past eight matches at the No. 6 court. Melanie Rolle improved her unblemished conference record at the four seed to a perfect 7-0 as Sonia Anand was forced to retire in the second set, giving the Eagles the 2-1 advantage. The sophomore now boasts an 11-0 ledger from the No. 4 position this dual season.
Molly Maddox notched her fourth conference victory at the three seed over Sabrina Smyers. Maddox uprooted the Terrier 6-3, 7-6 (5), making the match score 3-1 Eagles’ favor. Kristi Kegerreis clinched the match for Georgia Southern from the top singles position. The Eagle defeated Cayley Wetzig, 7-6(4), 7-5, to secure the match for Georgia Southern.
With the match already decided, the Eagles added two more singles victories. Jessica Fuller ousted Betsy Hauer, 7-5, 6-4, from the five position, while Ali Beavers won a match tiebreaker over Hayley Baird, 6-7(4), 6-2, 10-6 at No.2.
Wofford opened competition claiming all three doubles matches. The Eagle duo of Rolle and Christine Caforio fell at No. 2 by an 8-4 margin to Baird and Smyers giving the Terriers the early doubles lead. Wetzig and Ashley Lawrence clinched the team point for Wofford with an 8-6 decision over Kegerreis and Beavers at the top doubles position. Huxtable and Fuller fell in a tiebreak at court three, 8-7 (4).
Georgia Southern concluded its last road trip of the season with the win and returns home Saturday, April 4 to host Chattanooga. First serve at the Hanner Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 6, Wofford 1
1. Cayley Wetzig/Ashley Lawrence (WOF) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Ali Beavers (GSU) 8-6*
2. Haley Baird/Sabrina Smyers (WOF) d. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-4
3. Sonia Anand/Betsy Hauer (WOF) d. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) 8-7 (4)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Cayley Wetzig (WOF) 7-6(4), 7-5*
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Haley Baird (WOF) 6-7(4), 6-2, 10-6
3. Molly Maddox (GSU) d. Sabrina Smyers (WOF) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Sonia Anand (WOF) 6-3, 3-2 ret.
5. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Betsy Hauer (WOF) 7-5, 6-4
6. Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Kristin Demosthenes (WOF) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3, 1, 5, 2
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Monday, 30 March 2009 00:21