Eagles Fall at Charleston to Close Out Season
CofC took the doubles point to open play and got started with an 8-0 triumph at the top seed. Ranked No. 37 in the nation, the Cougar duo of Holly Dowse and Emma Hayman defeated Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.), giving Charleston the early doubles advantage. Laura Borza and Anna Lee Evans clinched the 1-0 lead at the three seed, topping Eagles Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) and Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.), 8-1. Charleston completed the doubles sweep, winning 8-4 over Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) at the two spot.
Three straight-set wins from Charleston clinched the conference match for the Cougars with Caroline Newman’s 6-1, 6-1 decision at No. 3 sealing the win. Evans jumpstarted the singles contests winning at the six seed, before Hayman took a decision over Rolle at No. 2.
Newman followed with her straight-set win, 6-1, 6-1, at the three seed over Maffett to keep the Cougars perfect in league play. Kinsey Casey added another win for CofC at No. 4 before Georgia Southern got on the board.
Senior Fuller downed Borza from the five seed in a super tiebreak. Fuller dropped the first set, 6-3, but rebounded with a 6-1 second set win and notched the super tiebreak to secure the victory.
Charleston completed the match winning at the top singles seed.
“I’m proud of the way we competed this season, but unfortunately we weren’t able to make the tournament,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “I was proud of Jessica for going out with a win in her last match and it was good to see the team compete hard and never give up all season.”
College of Charleston 6, Georgia Southern 1
1. No. 37 Holly Dowse/Emma Hayman (COC) d. Ali Beavers/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-0
2. Kinsey Casey/Irene Viana (COC) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-4
3. Laura Borza/Anna Lee Evans (COC) d. Natalie Maffett/Jessica Fuller (GSU) 8-1*
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Holly Dowse (COC) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-1, 1-6, 1-0
2. Emma Hayman (COC) d. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Caroline Newman (COC) d. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-1, 6-1*
4. Kinsey Casey (COC) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Laura Borza (COC) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0
6. Anna Lee Evans (COC) d. Allison Beeler (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Thursday, 15 April 2010 18:29