Eagles Sweep Catamounts, 7-0, to Open Conference Play
“It was great to start off the Southern Conference season with a win today,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “The girls came ready to play and we got off to a good start with our doubles. It was a fun atmosphere at the match with so many fans and kids that came to support us.”
A sweep of the doubles matches provided early momentum for Georgia Southern heading into singles play. The Eagles dropped only eight games in three matches for the doubles point. Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) paired up at No. 3 for an 8-2 victory, before Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) secured the point with an 8-3 decision at the top position. Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) and Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) completed the sweep from No. 2 with the point already decided.
Only seven games were dropped before Georgia Southern clinched the match using three singles matches. Allison Beeler (Alpharetta, Ga.), competing at No. 6, crushed Emily Turke, 6-1, 6-0, before Kegerreis downed Izabella Glinska, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 3 putting the Eagles on the brink of victory. Hungerford clinched the match for GS at the four seed. The junior bypassed Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz, 6-1, 6-3, as the match stood at 4-0 Georgia Southern.
The Eagles added three more singles victories before the match concluded. Junior Rolle pushed her win streak to three matches with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Amanda Massey at the two seed. Fellow classmate Beavers pushed the score to 5-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Carolina Lainez at the top seed, 6-1, 6-4.
Senior Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) completed match play from No. 5. Battling against Karen Jimenez Sarmiento, Fuller won her fourth dual singles match of the season with a 6-1, 7-5 decision.
Georgia Southern continues this six-match homestand on Friday, March 12 welcoming conference foe UNC Greensboro to Statesboro. First serve at the Hanner Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 7, Western Carolina 0
Records: GSU 5-4, 1-0; WCU 1-2, 0-1
1. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) d. Karen Jimenez Sarmiento/Carolina Lainez (WCU) 8-3*
2. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Amanda Massey/Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz (WCU) 8-3
3. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Emily Turke/Izabella Glinska (WCU) 8-2
Order of Finish 3, 1*, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Carolina Lainez (WCU) 6-1,6-4
2. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Amanda Massey (WCU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Izabella Glinska (WCU) 6-0,6-2
4. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) d. Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz (WCU) 6-1,6-3
5. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Karen Jimenez Sarmiento (WCU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Allison Beeler (GSU) d. Emily Turke (WCU) 6-1,6-0
Order of Finish: 6,3,4*,2,1,5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 06 March 2010 16:28