Doubles Lifts Eagles Past No. 66 Spartans, 4-3
UNCG dropped its fourth consecutive match to fall to 5-5 overall and 1-2 in Southern Conference play, while GS improved to 7-4 overall and remained perfect in league play, 3-0.
In an effort to decide a victor on Friday before the rains hit, both teams decided to play singles action first, but the conference foes split the matches to leave the score knotted at 3-apiece. Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) gave the Eagles a 1-0 lead walking away with a 6-1, 6-1 defeat over Mikayla Rogers at the four seed. But the lead was short-lived as Stephanie MacFarlane posted a 6-3, 6-2 win over Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) to even the score at 1-all.
The league rivals traded the next two points as Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) picked up a win over Annette Rios at the five seed, 6-1, 6-4, but Alex Whitehead pushed the score back to 2-2 winning at the top seed over Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.).
UNCG took its first lead of the match as Sasha Skripkina won a three-set decision at the six seed. Skripkina dropped the first set to senior Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.), 6-2, but rebounded to take the next two, 6-4, 6-3 for a 3-2 Spartan lead. Before the inclement weather hit, junior Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) grabbed a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Valier Behr to leave the match decision with the doubles matches.
The teams began doubles play before the match was suspended due to rain. Beavers and Maffett teamed up at the top seed and grabbed an early 2-1 lead over Whitehead and MacFarlane on Friday. The Eagles closed out the match, 8-4, Sunday morning for the first doubles match completed. GS clinched the point with the next court finished. Kegerreis and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) were tied 2-2 entering Sunday morning. The pair held strong and closed out an 8-5 win over Behr and Rogers to push Georgia Southern to 3-0 in conference play. UNCG notched a doubles win at No. 2 to complete match play.
Georgia Southern plays host to non-conference foe Bethune-Cookman this afternoon. First serve is set for noon.
Georgia Southern 4, No. 66 UNC Greensboro 3
Records: GSU 7-4, 3-0; UNCG 5-5, 1-2
1. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) d. Alex Whitehead/Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG) 8-4
2. Jessica Eblen/Annette Rios (UNCG) d. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-6
3. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Valerie Behr/Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) 8-5*
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
*Clinched the match
1. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-4,6-3
2. Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG) d. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-3,6-2
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Valerie Behr (UNCG) 6-2,6-4
4. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) 6-1,6-1
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) d. Annette Rios (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
6. Sasha Skripkina (UNCG) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 1, 6, 3
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 14 March 2010 13:21