Eagles Victorious on Senior Day over Samford
“It was a great way to end the regular season. We successfully completed our goal of turning around our 4-3 losses last year. We turned them into wins this year and ended up with the best season record in years,” said head coach Bonner. “I’m especially proud of the seniors and the way they fought for the team in their final home match.”
Georgia Southern headed into both doubles and singles action with wins already under their belt as Samford competed with a limited roster. The doubles point was clinched by the Eagles with a win at the top position. The Eagle tandem of Kristi Kegerreis and Molly Maddox knocked off Taylor Morgan and Stephanie Parkison, 8-4, to give Georgia Southern the early team lead heading into singles action.
Already with a match score at 3-0, the Eagles needed one singles victory to secure the conference win. Samford rallied back in singles action with two quick wins at the two and one seeds, respectively, to make the score 3-2. Andrie Meiring secured a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Ali Beavers moments before Morgan topped Kegerreis from the No.1 court by a 6-2, 6-3 decision.
Huxtable, competing at the fourth seed for the first time this season, finished next for Georgia Southern taking with her a straight set, 6-3, 6-1 win over Jessica Diamond. Huxtable’s win clinched the Eagles’ seventh conference victory of the season. The Bulldogs wrapped up competition with their third singles nod with a win at the three court.
Up next for Georgia Southern is the Southern Conference Tournament which begins Thursday, April 23. The tournament will take place at Elon.
Georgia Southern 4, Samford 3
1. Kristi Kegerreis/Molly Maddox (GSU) d. Taylor Morgan/Stephanie Parkison (SAM) 8-4*
2. Andrie Meiring/Jessica Diamond (SAM) d. Ali Beavers/Emma Knight (GSU) 8-7 (4)
3. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. no player (SAM) forfeit
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Taylor Morgan (SAM) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Andrie Meiring (SAM) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Stephanie Parkison (SAM) d. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Jessica Diamond (SAM) 6-3, 6-1*
5. Emma Knight (GSU) d. no player (SAM) forfeit
6. Christine Caforio (GSU) d. no player (SAM) forfeit
Order of finish: 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 3
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 18 April 2009 16:12