Lady Eagles Blanked by Central Florida
ORLANDO, Fla. The Georgia Southern women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision Friday afternoon (Feb. 13) to Central Florida. The Lady Eagles now stand at 3-3 overall, while the Knights pushed their record to 3-2.
The Knights jumped off to a 1-0 early lead after securing the doubles point with victories at all three seeds, dropping only three games between the three matches. In singles action, the Knights quickly took a 3-0 lead by dropping only four games in straight set victories between the two and six seeds, respectively. Kena Belbacha clinched the victory for the Knights at the five seed with a straight set, 6-1, 6-2 win over Shea Huxtable.
Melanie Rolle fought hard from the three seed, pushing her decision into a match tiebreaker. Rolle notched the first set over Alexis Rodriguez, 6-4, but the deficit was quickly erased as Rodriguez took the second set by a matching 6-4 tally. The three seed went into a match tiebreaker as Rolle pushed Rodriguez, but fell 10-7. With the score at 5-0, Kristi Kegerreis pushed Elvira Serrot to the limit in the second set at the one seed. After dropping the first set, Kegerries forced a second set tiebreak. Serrot went ahead 6-1 before Kegerreis pushed the tiebreak to 6-4, but Serrot sealed the match moments later.
The Lady Eagles are back in action as they travel to face Bethune-Cookman on Saturday, February 14. First serve is slated for 11 a.m.
Central Florida 7, Georgia Southern 0
1. Jenny Frisell/Elvira Serrot (UCF) d. Kristi Kegereis/Molly Maddox (GSU) 8-1
2. Kenza Belbacha/Andrea Yacaman (UCF) d. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-0
3. Christy Core/Katie Orletsky (UCF) d. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) 8-2
1. Elvira Serrot (UCF) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-4, 7-6(4)
2. No. 70 Andrea Yacaman (UCF) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) d. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (7)
4. Christy Core (UCF) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Kenza Belbacha (UCF) d. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Katie Orletsky (UCF) d. Christine Caforio (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 13 February 2009 00:04