Women's Tennis Stumbles on Sunday
ATLANTA, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Women's Tennis team (3-2) dropped its Sunday match to undefeated Georgia State (6-0) Sunday, February 20th. The 6-1 loss wrapped up the three-match weekend in Atlanta after the Eagles split on Saturday.
The number-one doubles team of Paola Garrido (Vigo, Spain) and Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) suffered its first loss of the season. They battled Georgia State's nationally ranked undefeated doubles pair of Kir Kemp and Tereza Lerova to an 8-5 final.
Garrido and Beavers started strong winning the first games, but Kemp and Lerova came back 2-1 before the Eagles responded with a win for a 3-1 lead. The Panthers rebounded with a four-game streak, taking their first lead at 5-3. The Eagle pair added another game before 40th-ranked Kemp and Lerova responded with two game wins, 7-4. Garrido and Beavers fought back to put the score at 5-7, but could not capture the win, falling 8-5 in the long service match.
Junior Alessandra Dzuba (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) garnered the Eagles' point in singles play with straight set wins 6-1, 6-4 over Georgia State's Vi Truong at the number-six seed. The Eagles were not successful in the other singles matches.
"Georgia State is always one of the toughest teams we play all season," said Head Coach Amy Bonner. "It's great to have an in-state match where we can compete with a team of that caliber that will help to prepare us for our upcoming conference matches at the end of the month."
The Georgia Southern Women's Tennis team will travel to Spartanburg and Greenville, S.C., next weekend for two southern conference matches against Wofford, Saturday, February 26th at 12 p.m. and Furman, Sunday, February 27th, at 12 p.m..
Fans can follow Eagle Women's Tennis at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/wtennis and receive short updates at facebook.com/GSAthletics or twitter.com/GSAthletics. Scores of matches are posted at twitter.com/GSScores.
Georgia State 6, Georgia Southern 1
Piedmont Park Tennis Complex, (Atlanta, Ga.)
1. Tereza Lerova (Ga. State) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Abigail Tere-Apisah (Ga. State) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Maryna Kozachenko (Ga. State) def. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kir Kemp (Ga. State) def. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Martina Ondrackova (Ga. State) def. Allison Beeler (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alessandra Dzuba (GSU) def. Vi Truong (Ga. State) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 6, 1, 4
1. #40 Kir Kemp/Tereza Lerova (Ga. State) def. Paola Garrido/Ali Beavers (GSU) 8-5
2. Abigail Tere-Apisah/Maryna Kozachenko (Ga. State) def. Taylor Jones/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-1
3. Katerina Gresova/Othilia Lindqvist (Ga. State) def. Mimi Bollaci/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 20 February 2011 19:00