College of Charleston Defeats Women's Tennis, 7-0
STATESBORO, Ga. Facing one of the premiere teams in the Southern Conference, the Georgia Southern women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision against the College of Charleston on Wednesday afternoon, at the Hanner Tennis Complex in Statesboro.
The Eagles (9-10, 2-6 SoCon) played very well in doubles competition, but weren’t able to come away with the doubles point. At the No. 3 position, Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Jessica Matlosz (Alpharetta, Ga.) were successful in a tie-break winning, 8-7(6), over Charleston’s Chelsea Albertz and Anna Lee Evans. GSU’s tandem of Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) dropped a close match to the Cougars’ (21-3, 8-1 SoCon) duo of Laura Borza and Link Leskosky by a score of 8-5 from the No. 1 seed.
In Singles action, Beavers lost just her sixth match of the season as she was defeated in straight sets 7-5, 6-3 by Leskowky from the No. 3 slot. Sophomore Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) fell 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 6 seed to Amanda Becker. Evans remains undefeated (12-0) on the season from the No. 5 position ousting Caforio 6-1, 6-2.
Georgia Southern will conclude the regular season on Saturday, April 12, as they play host to Chattanooga. The match will be the home finale for senior Kelli Helms (Cairo, Ga.) and is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON 7, GEORGIA SOUTHERN 0
- Beavers/Caforio (GSU) def. Borza/Leskowsky (COFC) 8-5
- Dowse/Mulligan (COFC) def. Maddox/Rolle (GSU) 8-1
- Albertz/Evans (COFC) def. Kegerreis/Matlosz (GSU) 8-7(6)
- Chelsea Alberts (COFC) def. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
- Laura Borza (COFC) def. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Link Leskowsky (COFC) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 7-5, 6-3
- Holly Dowse (COFC) def. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
- Anna Lee Evans (COFC) def. Christine Caforio (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Amanda Becker (COFC) def. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
Category: Women's Tennis
Published on Wednesday, 09 April 2008 00:14