Lady Eagles Roll Past Hampton, 6-1
Georgia Southern dominated the doubles field with decisive wins on all three courts. Shea Huxtable and Jessica Fuller walked off the court first having cruised past the Pirates’ Jovanna Sangria and Maria Ycaza, 8-2. Christine Caforio and Melanie Rolle clinched the doubles point for Georgia Southern at the two seed with an 8-2 decision over Barenese Myers and Janelle Small. The Eagle duo of Ali Beavers and Kristi Kegerreis faced off against Na-Hyun Baek and Syreeta Thompson at the one position. The pair knocked off the Pirates, 8-4, to complete a sweep of the doubles matches.
The Lady Eagles rolled the momentum from doubles over to singles action, securing five victories and the win. Beavers wrapped up her match first crushing Livia Branco, 6-1, 6-0, giving Georgia Southern a 2-0 advantage. Moments later, Huxtable pushed the Lady Eagles to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Ycaza at the five seed. Caforio clinched the match for Georgia Southern at the sixth position over Myers. Caforio downed the Pirate, 6-2, 6-1, to push the score to 4-0 Georgia Southern.
Rolle and Kegerreis both added singles victories for Georgia Southern. Rolle ousted Thompson from the three seed, 6-4, 6-2, while Kegerreis notched her first singles victory of the season from the one position over Baek, 6-3, 7-5.
“I’m very proud of the team to come back from a defeat yesterday,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We came together as a team and pulled out the win.”
Georgia Southern hits the road next as they travel to face Gardner-Webb on Saturday, February 7. First serve in Powder Springs, Ga. is slated for 11 a.m. at Lost Mountain Park.
Georgia Southern 6, Hampton 1
1. Kristi Kegerreis/Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Na-Hyun Baek/Syreeta Thompson (HU) 8-4
2. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Barenese Myers/Janelle Small (HU) 8-2*
3. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Jovanna Sangria/Maria Ycaza (HU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Na-Hyun Baek (HU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Livia Branco (HU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Syreeta Thompson (HU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jovanna Sangria (HU) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Maria Ycaza (HU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Barenese Myers (HU) 6-2, 6-1*
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 4, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 01 February 2009 00:27