Rolle Extends Win Streak as Eagles Fall to Paladins
“We hated not coming away with a win today, but I’m proud of the team making Furman earn the victory,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “I’m proud of the way we played in doubles and our strong performance.”
The teams battled for the doubles point with GS taking the early lead with two wins. Seniors Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) finished play first recording an 8-6 victory over Jennifer Betts and Olivia Maurice from the three seed. With the first doubles win, the Eagles clinched the point with a hard-fought win at No. 2. Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) edged Monica Arguello and Michele Stanford, 9-7, for the early point. Furman closed out doubles play picking up a win at the top seed. Jessica Preeg and Lauren Kling survived a 9-7 decision over Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.).
Despite carrying the momentum over from doubles play, Georgia Southern dropped four of six first sets as Furman took the early lead in singles competition. Arguello and Betts wins from No. 1 and No. 6, respectively, put the Paladins in front, 2-1. But Rolle evened the match notching her eighth dual match singles win of the season coming from No. 3. The junior downed Preeg in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, for a 2-2 overall match score.
Furman quickly took control again, 3-2, with a Kline win over Maffett at No. 2. The straight set win allowed Stanford to clinch the match at the four seed with her win over Kegerreis. Stanford defeated the Eagle, 6-4, 6-3, to secure the conference win, while Susan Bitetti rounded out the match with a three-set win over Hungerford at No. 5.
Georgia Southern returns to the court on Monday, March 22 welcoming Elon to the Hanner Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Furman 5, GSU 2
Records: Furman 8-5, 1-0; GSU 8-5, 3-1
1. Jessica Preeg/Lauren Kline (FUR) d. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 9-7
2. Melanie Rolle/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) d. Monica Arguello/Michele Stanford (FUR) 9-7*
3. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Jennifer Betts/Olivia Maurice (FUR) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Monica Arguello (FUR) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Lauren Kline (FUR) d. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Jessica Preeg (FUR) 6-3, 6-2
4. Michele Stanford (FUR) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-4, 6-3*
5. Susan Bitetti (FUR) d. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Jennifer Betts (FUR) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 3, 2, 4, 5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 20 March 2010 16:06