Women?s Tennis Drops Season Opener to Georgia State
The Panthers took the early 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point with wins at all three seeds, all by familiar 8-1 decisions. Jessica Fuller battled hard in singles action at the four seed against Katerina Gresova. Fuller dropped the first set, 7-5, but easily took the second, 6-3, to draw the match into a third set tiebreaker. Fuller pushed Gresova, but fell 10-7. Emma Knight fought hard as she faced Martina Ondrackova at the six seed. Knight pushed her first set into a tiebreak decision, but fell 7-6(4) and dropped the second set.
The Lady Eagles will face Kennesaw State on Sunday to close out this season opener road trip. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
1. Martina Nitkova/Katerina Gresova (GAST) def. Kristi Kegerreis/Molly Maddox (GSU) 8-1
2. Kiara Powell/Dariana Kozmina (GAST) def. Christine Caforio/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-1
3. Diana Nakic/Linda Hricistova (GAST) def. Ali Beavers/Shea Huxtable (GSU) 8-1
1. Diana Nakic (GAST) def. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Martina Nitkova (GAST) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Dariana Kozmina (GAST) def. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Katerina Gresova (GAST) def. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
5. Kiara Powell (GAST) def. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Martina Ondrackova (GAST) def. Emma Knight (GSU) 7-6(4), 6-2
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 24 January 2009 00:21