Women's Tennis Earns First Victory, Blanks Kennesaw State 7-0
KENNESAW, Ga. A solid team performance helped the Georgia Southern women’s tennis team earn their first victory of the season on Saturday, as they downed the Owls of Kennesaw State, 7-0, in Kennesaw.
The Eagles (1-3, 0-0 SoCon) got things rolling during doubles play. GSU swept all three matches earning the doubles point taking the early advantage. Sophomore Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) defeated Ayano Tanaka and Agatha Palider 8-2 at the No. 1 singles position. The freshmen duo of Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) upended Kennesaw State’s tandem of Mercedes Cobos and Paula Takara 8-4. Molly Maddox (Rome, Ga.) and Jessica Matlosz (Alpharetta, Ga.) rounded out the doubles competiton as they took down Allison Baulis and Lindsay Dillon by a final of 8-1.
“I was proud of the girls for coming back after three tough losses,” said GSU head coach Amy Bonner. “Everyone was fired up and competed hard. I hope this will help us get on a roll as the season progresses.”
In singles action, Georgia Southern was equally as impressive as the Eagles didn’t lose a match to the Owls. Junior Shea Huxtable (Winter Springs, Fla.) and Rolle both used three sets to defeat their opponents. Huxtable defeated Karen Ammann 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 at the No. 5 position, while Rolle beat Tanaka 0-6, 6-1, 6-2 from the No. 2 slot. Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) improved her record to (2-1) on the season as she handled Kennesaw State’s Jenna Wright 6-3, 6-1.
The Eagles return to action (Feb. 17) as they play host to Mercer. The match is scheduled to begin at noon.
- Kegerreis/Caforio (GSU) d. Tanaka/Palider (KSU) 8-2
- Beavers/Rolle (GSU) d. Cobos/Takara (KSU) 8-4
- Maddox/Matlosz (GSU) d. Baulis/Dillon (KSU) 8-1
- Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Mercedes Cobos (KSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Ayano Tanaka (KSU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
- Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Agatha Palider (KSU) 7-5, 6-1
- Molly Maddox (GSU) d. Paula Takara (KSU) 7-5, 6-2
- Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Karen Ammann (KSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
- Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Jenna Wright (KSU) 6-3, 6-1
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 09 February 2008 00:02