Beavers Shines as Georgia Southern Falls to Stetson
Georgia Southern dropped to 1-1 on the season, while Stetson improved to 2-1.
“I thought we competed hard against a talented Atlantic Sun Championship team,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “I was pleased with the way we played even though we didn’t come away with a win. There are a lot of positive things coming from this team that is filled with newcomers and returners and it’s all starting to come together.”
Stetson swept all three doubles matches to gain the early 1-0 advantage heading into singles play. Breanna Atkinson and Katherine Nowicki walked away at court two first with an easy 8-1 victory, before Galbarini and Carolina de los Santos clinched the point from the top position.
Two early wins from the three and two seeds pushed the Hatters in front, 3-0. Atkinson clinched the match from the four seed with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over senior Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.). The Hatters added wins at the fifth and sixth seeds, before Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) shined from the top position.
Battling Galbarini, Beavers overcame a 4-0 deficit in the first set to force a tiebreaker. Galbarini managed to win only two games in the tiebreak as Beavers rolled to a first set win with a 7-2 tiebreak decision. The senior Hatter looked on pace to force a super tiebreak as Galbarini jumped out to a 4-0 advantage again in the second set. But the Eagle repositioned and owned the Hatter for the next six games to earn a 6-4 second set win to take the match in straight sets.
Georgia Southern closes out this road swing next facing Jacksonville on Thursday, Feb. 11. First serve is slated for 2:00 p.m.
Stetson 6, Georgia Southern 1
1. Valentina Galbarini/Carolina de los Santos (Stetson) d. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 8-4 *
2. Breanna Atkinson/Katherine Nowicki (Stetson) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 8-1
3. Shannon Gunning/Unnati Purushotham (Stetson) d. Melanie Rolle/Allison Beeler (GSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Valentina Galbarini (Stetson) 7-6(2), 6-4
2. Unnati Purushotham (Stetson) d. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Carolina de los Santos (Stetson) d. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Breanna Atkinson (Stetson) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-2, 6-2*
5. Shannon Gunning (Stetson) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Katherine Nowicki (Stetson) d. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 5, 6, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 07 February 2010 17:12