Lady Eagles Drop Decision to Lady Ospreys
North Florida swept all three doubles matches to win the doubles point and take an early 1-0 advantage over Georgia Southern. The tandem of Ina Durcakova/Nikita Van Lierop clinched the doubles point for the Lady Ospreys at the two seed over Christine Caforio/Melanie Rolle. Caforio/Rolle kept the match close and trailed 5-4 before Durcakova/Van Lierop pulled away and took the match, 8-4. At the one position, Beavers/Kristi Kegerreis battled hard against Aline Berkenbrock/Raquel Castro, leading 6-5. But the Lady Osprey broke the Lady Eagles and kept serve to take the match, 8-6.
Georgia Southern earned two singles victories from Beavers and Fuller from the two and four seeds, respectively. Beavers dropped her first set, 5-7, but crushed Van Lierop in the second, 6-0, to head into a match tiebreaker. It was a back-and-forth affair in the tiebreak, but Beavers battled and came out on top, 10-6, to take the match. Fuller downed Holton at the four seed in a three set battle. Fuller easily took her first set, 6-3, but dropped the second set, 1-6, to send the match into a third set. Fuller broke Holton twice in the third to secure a 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 victory.
“It was a competitive match like we knew it would be,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We didn’t come out on top like we wanted, but we will regroup for Hampton tomorrow.”
The Lady Eagles continue this two-match home streak tomorrow, February 1, when they welcome Hampton. First serve is slated for 12 p.m.
North Florida 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Aline Berkenbrock/Raquel Castro (UNF) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Ali Beavers (GSU) 8-5
2. Ina Durcakova/Nikita Van Lierop (UNF) d. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-3*
3. Lauren Holton/Victoria Krook (UNF) d. Shea Huxtable/Jessica Fuller (GSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Aline Berkenbrock (UNF) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Nikita Van Lierop (UNF) 5-7, 6-0, 10-6
3. Raquel Castro (UNF) d. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-1, 6-3*
4. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Lauren Holton (UNF) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
5. Ina Durcakova (UNF) d. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Victoria Krook (UNF) d. Christine Caforio (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 1, 2, 4
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 31 January 2009 00:11