Women's Tennis Downs Presbyterian, 7-0
STATESBORO, Ga. Consistent play helped the Georgia Southern women’s tennis team notch their fourth victory on Friday afternoon, as the Eagles defeated the Blue Hose of Presbyterian by a 7-0 decision.
The Eagles evened their record at (4-4) and have now won four of their last five matches, while Presbyterian falls to (3-6).
Georgia Southern earned the doubles point taking all three matches from the Blue Hose. Sophomore Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) downed Presbyterian’s tandem of Brittany Lanford and Abby Diminich from the No. 1 position by a score of 8-2. Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) recorded their seventh consecutive victory dropping Virginia Waldron and Cayla Reece by an 8-1 decision. GSU’s duo of Emma Knight (Duluth, Ga.) and Jessica Matlosz (Alpharetta, Ga.) edged the Blue Hose from the No. 3 slot ousting Kari Fuller and Megan Davis 8-7 (6).
The Eagles were successful in singles action as Georgia Southern recorded straight set decisions from all six positions. Junior Shea Huxtable (Winter Springs, Fla.) took down Fuller winning 6-3, 6-3 from the No. 4 position, while Knight dropped Reece 6-0, 6-4. Beavers earned her sixth straight singles victory and Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) improved to 5-2 in singles dual competition.
“I thought we played very well as a team today,” said GSU coach Amy Bonner. “Hopefully, this will give us confidence as we head into our first Southern Conference match against Western Carolina on Sunday.”
Georgia Southern opens Southern Conference play this Sunday as the Eagles play host to Western Carolina. The match is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
- Kegerreis/Caforio (GSU) d. Lanford/Diminich (PC) 8-2
- Beavers/Rolle (GSU) d. Waldron/Reece (PC) 8-1
- Matlosz/Knight (GSU) d. Fuller/Davis (PC) 8-7 (6)
- Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Brittany Lanford (PC) 6-1, 6-0
- Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Abby Diminich (PC) 6-0, 7-5
- Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Megan Davis (PC) 6-1, 6-1
- Shea Huxtable (GSU) d. Kari Fuller (PC) 6-3, 6-3
- Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Virginia Waldron (PC) 7-5, 6-2
- Emma Knight (GSU) d. Cayla Reece (PC) 6-0, 6-4
Category: Women's Tennis
Published on Friday, 29 February 2008 00:24