Cougars Take Decision Over Eagles
The Cougars jumped out with the early team advantage earning the doubles point with a sweep of the doubles matches. College of Charleston walked away at No.3 first with an 8-2 decision before the point was clinched at the two seed where Melanie Rolle and Christine Caforio fell 8-6 to Kinsey Casey and Keely Mulligan. Molly Maddox and Ali Beavers, battling at the top doubles seed, pushed their match into a tiebreak after rallying back to 6-all. The Eagle duo eventually fell to Cougars Laura Borza and Anna Lee Evans in the tiebreak.
Charleston quickly broke away in singles action, taking four first sets. Straight set wins at courts three and five gave the Cougars a 3-1 lead sandwiched around the Eagles’ lone singles victory of the afternoon. Rolle kept her record unblemished at the No.4 seed with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Evans and stretched her win streak to 12-matches.
Holly Dowse secured the team win for Charleston defeating Beavers at the two spot. The Cougar took a 6-3, 6-2 victory to give CofC its eighth SoCon win of the season. Charleston rounded out the afternoon match with two more singles nods at the six and one seeds, respectively. After Casey took a straight set win at No.6, Borza battled back at the top seed after dropping the first set to Kristi Kegerreis to push the match into a 10-point tiebreak. Kegerreis notched the first set in a tiebreak before dropping the second set and match tiebreaker to the Cougar.
“It was a tough loss to a tough team,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “We still have work to do before we face one more tough opponent on Saturday. We want to win on Saturday so our seniors can go out with a bang in their last match.”
Georgia Southern closes out 2009 regular season action and will honor seniors Shea Huxtable, Molly Maddox and Emma Knight on Saturday, April 18. First serve against Samford is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
College of Charleston 6, Georgia Southern 1
1. Laura Borza/Anna Lee Evans (COC) d. Molly Maddox/Ali Beavers (GSU) 8-7 (2)
2. Kinsey Casey/Keely Mulligan (COC) d. Melanie Rolle/Christine Caforio (COC) 8-6*
3. Holly Dowse/Caroline Newman (COC) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Emma Knight (GSU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Laura Borza (COC) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-7(1), 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Holly Dowse (COC ) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-3, 6-2*
3. Caroline Newman (COC) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Anna Lee Evans (COC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kelly Mulligan (COC) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Kinsey Casey (COC) d. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 4, 5, 2, 6, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Wednesday, 15 April 2009 19:34