Women's Tennis Sweeps Nebraska Omaha
HILTON HEAD, S.C. -- The Georgia Southern Women's Tennis team defeated Nebraska Omaha 7-0 in a Spring Break match at the Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Resort. The Eagles claimed wins in every doubles and singles match on the day.
Starting off the winning for the Eagles (6-7, 2-3 SoCon) were Natalie Maffett and Stephanie Woods. Playing the number two doubles, the senior-freshman duo quickly earned a 8-1 win against Jacqueline Baude and Rachel Pierson. Jordana Klein and Cailtin Kitchen followed with an 8-1 win of their own against Molly Matricardi and Lindsay Weideman on court three, having now won all three matches together as doubles partners. On court one, Paola Garrido and Mary Phillips Smith were battling out a tougher match with Tiffany Hottman Alex Tran but eventually came out on top with a score of 8-6.
Up by one, the Eagles never let down and earned wins on all six singles courts. Kitchen earned her second win out of three matches when she defeated Pierson 6-2, 6-0 on court six for the first singles victory of the day. Maffett finished shortly after Kitchen with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep of Hottman on court five, adding her team leading eighth win of the year.
Garrido clinched the match when she downed Matricardi 6-1, 6-1 at the number one spot.
With the match already played, three more Eagles added wins. Woods defeated Baude 6-4, 6-1 on court three and one court down Smith added a point for the Eagles after a 6-1, 7-5 win over Weideman. Lastly, Klein finished up the match with the only three-setter of the day in a 6-1, 2-6, 13-11 victory over Tran at the number two spot.
The Eagles continue the Spring Break Tennis tournament in Hilton Head with a match against Kansas on Thursday at 11:30 a.m.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Paola Garrido (GSUW) def. Molly Matricardi (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jordana Klein (GSUW) def. Alex Tran (UNO) 6-1, 2-6, 13-11
3. Stephanie Woods (GSUW) def. Jacqueline Baude (UNO) 6-4, 6-1
4. M. Phillips Smith (GSUW) def. Lindsay Weideman (UNO) 6-1, 7-5
5. Natalie Maffett (GSUW) def. Tiffany Hottman (UNO) 6-0, 6-0
6. Caitlin Kitchen (GSUW) def. Rachel Pierson (UNO) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,5,1,3,4,2
1. Paola Garrido/M. Phillips Smith (GSUW) def. Tiffany Hottman/Alex Tran (UNO) 8-6
2. Natalie Maffett/Stephanie Woods (GSUW) def. Jacqueline Baude/Rachel Pierson (UNO) 8-1
3. Jordana Klein/Caitlin Kitchen (GSUW) def. Molly Matricardi/Lindsay Weideman (UNO) 8-1
Order of finish: 2,3,1
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 31 December 1899 19:00