Women's Tennis Falls to Kennesaw State
STATESBORO, Ga. -- Georgia Southern Women’s Tennis were able to capture the doubles point but couldn’t capitalize in the singles round as they lost to Kennesaw State 4-3 on a sunny Saturday afternoon at the Hanner Tennis Complex. Sophomore Jordana Klein (Alpharetta, Ga.) and freshman Stephanie Woods (John’s Creek, Ga.) picked up singles wins in the effort.
The day started off well for the Eagles (1-3) when senior sophomores Alexis Prickett (Charleston, S.C.) and Klein clinched the doubles point, beating KSU’s (1-4) Therese Lagerkvist and Isabela Castro 8-7 in a match that took more than an hour and a half at court three. Before that, senior Natalie Maffett and Woods had teamed up to take the win at court two, beating Jana Hueckinghaus and Tamara Plocher 8-7 as well.
The Eagles dropped three singles matches before Woods won hers 6-4, 1-6, 6-4 over Plocher at the number four spot. Klein won the last match of the day against Apostu. After winning her first set 7-5, she dropped the second with the same numbers and both players needed a third set tiebreaker to decide the match in which Klein came out on top 10-5.
The Eagles are back in action tomorrow, taking on another in state rival, Mercer, at the Hanner Complex at noon.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Virginie Stein (KSU) def. Paola Garrido (GSUW) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jordana Klein (GSUW) def. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) def. M. Phillips Smith (GSUW) 6-3, 6-1
4. Stephanie Woods (GSUW) def. Tamara Plocher (KSU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
5. Therese Lagerkvist (KSU) def. Natalie Maffett (GSUW) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Isabela Castro (KSU) def. Alexis Pricket (GSUW) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 1,3,6,4,5,2
1. Virginie Stein/Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Paola Garrido/M. Phillips Smith (GSUW) 8-6
2. Natalie Maffett/Stephanie Woods (GSUW) def. Jana Hueckinghaus/Tamara Plocher (KSU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Alexis Pricket/Jordana Klein (GSUW) def. Therese Lagerkvist/Isabela Castro (KSU) 8-7 (11-9)
Order of finish: 1,2,3
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 09 February 2013 19:47