USC Upstate Snaps Women's Tennis Three-Match Winning Streak
SPARTANBURG, S.C. USC Upstate ended Georgia Southern’s three-match winning streak on Sunday afternoon, as the Spartans defeated the Eagles 5-2 at the USC Upstate Tennis Complex in Spartanburg.
The Eagles (3-4) earned the doubles point taking the early 1-0 advantage. Georgia Southern’s freshmen tandem of Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) earned their sixth consecutive victory and improved their doubles record to (6-1), defeating Susana Hernandez and Deniela Lovera 9-8 (7-5). Jessica Matlosz (Alpharetta, Ga.) and Emma Knight (Duluth, Ga.) notched their second victory together (2-0) downing Maria Herrera and Diana Martinez 8-4 from the No. 3 doubles position.
“I knew it was going to be a tough match for us, but we played really well,” said GSU coach Amy Bonner. “We started strong earning the doubles point, but fell to a really good USC Upstate team.”
Beavers had a strong outing posting victories in singles and doubles. In singles action, she downed Emilia Milovanovic 6-2, 7-6 (7-2) from the No. 3 singles position. Junior Molly Maddox (Rome, Ga.) gave Martinez all she could handle at the No. 4 singles slot, but fell in three sets 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 6-2. With the win USC Upstate improves to 5-1 on the season.
The Eagles return to the hard-courts Friday, February 29 as they play host to Presbyterian. The match is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m.
- Novo/Milovanovic (UPST) d. Kegerreis/Caforio (GSU) 8-1
- Beavers/Rolle (GSU) d. Hernandez/Lovera (UPST) 9-8 (7-5)
- Matlosz/Knight (GSU) d. Herrera/Martinez (UPST) 8-4
- Anna Nova (UPST) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
- Susana Hernandez (UPST) d. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Emilia Milovanovic (UPST) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
- Diana Martinez (UPST) d. Molly Maddox (GSU) 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 6-2
- Daniela Lovera (UPST) d. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Maria Herrera (UPST) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 24 February 2008 00:16