Eagles Secure 4-3 Conference Win Over Chattanooga
“My seniors really stepped up today. Their experience was the key to our win,” said head coach Amy Bonner. “I’m so proud of how we came back after losing the doubles point.”
All three seniors were victorious in singles action with Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) clinching the win. Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) added a singles nod from the two seed.
Chattanooga won the first two doubles matches to finish at the UTC Tennis Courts to record the doubles point. Emily Hangstefer and Charlotte Bossy defeated Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) and Rolle at No. 2, 8-1, before Jenna Nurik and Shaina Singh clinched the point at the top seed with an 8-3 victory.
Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) won the only doubles match for GS with an 8-5 decision over Annie Green and Beata Knizat at No. 3
Two quick singles wins put UTC on the brink of a conference win as Nurik topped Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) at the top singles position, 6-2, 6-0. Hangstefer then pushed the Mocs’ lead out to 3-0 with a 6-2, 7-5 triumph at No. 3 over Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.).
But Hungerford’s win a No. 5 got the Eagles rolling as they took the next four matches for the win. Hungerford defeated Knizat, 6-2, 6-2, before Kegerries edged Bossy, 6-3, 6-2, at the two seed, bringing the score to 3-2.
Rolle knotted the match at 3-all winning 6-2, 7-5 over Singh from the two position as the match decision was left to be decided at the six seed. Fuller took the first set over Green in a tiebreak, 7-6 (2) and downed the Moc, 6-2, to complete the straight-set win and clinch the match.
Georgia Southern concludes 2010 regular season play with a trip to College of Charleston on Thursday, April 15. First serve in Charleston is slated for 2:30 p.m.
Georgia Southern 4, Chattanooga 3
1. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) d. Ali Beavers/Allison Beeler (GSU) 8-3*
2. Emily Hangstefer/Charlotte Bossy (UTC) d. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-1
3. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) d. Annie Green/Beata Knizat (UTC) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Sanian Singh (UTC) 6-2, 7-5
3. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) d. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) d. Beata Knizat (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Annie Green (UTC) 7-6 (2), 6-2*
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5, 4, 2, 6
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 11 April 2010 18:24