Eagles Fall 4-0 to College of Charleston, Conclude 2008 Season
CHARLESTON, S.C. The Georgia Southern women’s tennis team concluded its 2008 season on Friday afternoon, as the College of Charleston defeated the Eagles 4-0 in the second round of the Southern Conference Tournament, at the Farmfield Tennis Center in Charleston.
GSU finished the 2008 season with a .500 record, while the Cougars advance to Saturday’s semi-final round at the Earle Tennis Center.
Charleston captured the early advantage as the Cougars were successful at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions. Georgia Southern’s No. 1 tandem of Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) and Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) fought hard, but were edged 8-5 by Laura Borza and Link Leskosky. The Cougars clinched the doubles point as Chelsea Albertz and Anna Lee Evans were successful, 8-1, over juniors Jessica Matlosz (Alpharetta, Ga.) and Emma Knight (Duluth, Ga.).
In singles action, the Eagles gave the Cougars all they could handle, but couldn’t recover after giving up the early lead. The College of Charleston was victorious at seeds four though six, which gave them the match and propelled them to the semi-finals. GSU junior Shea Huxtable (Winter Springs, Fla.) fell in straight sets at the No. 6 slot to Amanda Becker by a 6-1, 6-1 decision. At the No. 4 position, Molly Maddox (Rome, Ga.) was defeated 6-3, 6-3 by Charleston’s Holly Dowse, while Caforio lost at the No. 5 seed 6-1, 6-1 to Evans. Kegerreis, Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) were all in the process of forcing a third set when the match was concluded.
Georgia Southern concludes the 2008 season with an 11-11 overall record, which proves to be one of the best records in the program’s recent history.
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON 4, GEORGIA SOUTHERN 0
- Borza/Leskosky (COFC) def. Caforio/Kegerreis (GSU) 8-5
- Dowse/Mulligan (COFC) vs. Beavers/Rolle (GSU) 7-6 unfinished
- Albertz/Evans (COFC) def. Fuller/Knight (GSU) 8-1
- Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) vs. Chelsea Albertz (COFC) 4-6, 6-3 unfinished
- Melanie Rolle (GSU) vs. Laura Borza (COFC) 3-6, 3-4 unfinished
- Ali Beavers (GSU) vs. Link Leskosky (COFC) 0-6, 6-3, 0-1 unfinished
- Holly Dowse (COFC) def. Molly Maddox (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Anna Lee Evans (COFC) def. Christine Caforio (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Amanda Becker (COFC) def. Shea Huxtable (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 18 April 2008 00:23