Strong Singles Play Subdues Mountaineers, 4-3
With only three matches playing simultaneously, Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) put the Eagles on top, 2-1, to open play. Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) finished first, giving ASU the early advantage after falling in straight 6-3 sets to Ellie Linsell, but Rolle would quickly even match play with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Jennifer Ansari at No. 2. Maffett pushed GS in the lead, 2-1, edging Olivia Stannard, 7-5, 6-1.
Clinging to a one point lead, Georgia Southern found the match knotted at 2-all after Carolina Mauch took a victory over senior Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.), 7-5, 6-2 at No. 4. But the Eagles would pull out two wins at Nos. 5 and 6 to secure the conference win before doubles competition.
Senior Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) crushed Gisela Fernandez dropping only three games, 6-3, 6-0, at the six seed making the match score, 3-2, Georgia Southern. Hungerford clinched the match at No. 5 winning a hard fought three-set battle.
The junior won the first set, 6-2, but suffered a second set loss, 6-4, forcing a deciding third set. The conference opponents pulled a 6-6 third set into a tiebreak in which Hungerford fought off several match points to outlast Bean 9-7 in the tiebreak for the win. Hungerford’s three-set win set the score, 4-2, Georgia Southern.
Appalachian State picked up the doubles point wining two of three matches for the 4-3 final decision. The Mountaineers took wins at the one and three seeds, while Beavers and Allison Beeler (Alpharetta, Ga.) won at No. 2, 8-7 (5).
Georgia Southern closed out this two-match road swing and returns to Statesboro to play host to Mercer on Wednesday, March 31. The non-conference match will mark the last home contest of the 2010 season and Senior Day. Seniors Christine Caforio, Jessica Fuller and Kristi Kegerreis will all be recognized prior to the 2 p.m. first serve.
Georgia Southern 4, Appalachian State 3
Records: GSU 9-7, 4-3; ASU 7-8, 1-4
1. Olivia Stannard/Ellie Linsell (ASU) d. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-3*
2. Ali Beavers/Allison Beeler (GSU) d. Blakeley Bean/Laura Jenke (ASU) 8-7 (5)
3. Jennifer Ansari/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) d. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ellie Linsell (ASU) d. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Natalie Maffett (GSU) d. Olivia Stannard (ASU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Caroline Mauch (ASU) d. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) d. Blakeley Bean (ASU) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7)*
6. Jessica Fuller (GSU) d. Gisela Fernandez (ASU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 28 March 2010 20:05