Hungerford Victorious as Eagles Fall to Wildcats
The Wildcats opened match play earning the doubles point with two wins at courts one and two. Alison Rauh and Stephani Synn defeated Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.), 8-2, at No. 2. Georgia Southern evened doubles play with a win at No. 3. Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) paired up with Christine Caforio (Acworth, Ga.) to defeat Gores and Samantha Galainena, 8-6, leaving the point at the top seed.
Wildcats Teresa Wang and Virginia Berry edged Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.), 8-4, at the top seed to clinch the doubles point and give Davidson the early lead, 1-0.
Moving into singles action, the Wildcats would secure three straight-set wins and two three-set battles for the conference victory. Wang moved Davidson to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Rolle at No. 2 before Hungerford put Georgia Southern on the scoreboard.
The Eagles’ lone singles win came at the hands of junior Hungerford at No. 5. Hungerford gained momentum with a 6-4 first set win over Gores and followed it with a 7-5 second set for the win.
Davidson closed out the match with four consecutive wins with Berry clinching the match at the top seed. Beavers pushed Berry into three sets after taking the first, 6-2, but Berry responded with consecutive 6-1 sets for the win.
Also drawing her Wildcat opponent into a three-set dual was freshman Allison Beeler (Alpharetta, Ga.). Beeler dropped the first set, 6-1, but took the second by the same margin, forcing a deciding third set in which Wildcat Galainena was victorious, 6-4, to round out play.
Georgia Southern continues conference play at Appalachian State on Sunday (March 28). First serve is slated for 9 a.m. in attempts to escape inclement weather expected to hit the area.
Davidson College 6, Georgia Southern 1
Mar 27, 2010 at Davidson, N.C.
1. Virginia Berry (DAV) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1*
2. Teresa Wang (DAV) def. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Stephani Synn (DAV) def. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Alison Rauh (DAV) def. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) def. Ali Gores (DAV) 6-4, 7-5
6. Samantha Galainena (DAV) def. Allison Beeler (GSU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 1, 4, 6
*Clinched the match
1. Teresa Wang/Virginia Berry (DAV) def. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 8-4*
2. Alison Rauh/Stephani Synn (DAV) def. Melanie Rolle/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 8-2
3. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) def. Ali Gores/Samantha Galainena (DAV) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
Georgia Southern 8-7, 3-3 SoCon
Davidson College 9-5, 2-2 SoCon
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 27 March 2010 19:26