Eagles Bounce Back to Top Jacksonville, 5-2
“I’m really proud of the team to win since we haven’t beaten them in a long time,” said Bonner. “I was very happy with the top half playing so solidly today.”
The Dolphins (3-4) opened strong in doubles, taking the early lead on two courts. But Georgia Southern quickly bounced back to claim the doubles point with a sweep of all three doubles matches. Ali Beavers and Emma Knight paired up at the three seed to finish first, taking with them an 8-3 decision over Iva Jaresova and Virginia Iwunski. Clinching the point at the one seed were Kristi Kegerreis and Molly Maddox who upset No. 56 Tatiana Soldatova and Elvira Yusupova, 8-6, after being down 6-3. Completing the sweep of doubles at the two seed were Eagles Christine Caforio and Melanie Rolle. The Eagle tandem pushed the match into a tiebreak where they dominated the court, finishing with a 9-8 (5) battle.
Evening the score at 1-all, Fernanda Carrero placed Jacksonville on the board with a straight set victory at the six seed before Rolle pushed Georgia Southern in the lead again. Rolle crushed Juliana Umeki from the four position, 6-2, 6-4. Maddox widened the Eagles’ margin when she cruised to a 6-4, 6-3 mark over Jaresova at the three position. But the Dolphins pulled to within one, 3-2, when Iwunski defeated Jessica Fuller at the five seed in a straight set 6-4 fashion not long before Keggereis clinched the match for Georgia Southern at the one seed.
Kegerreis snapped a five-match losing streak at the one seed with the 7-6(1), 6-3 win over Soldatova. Beavers rounded out the afternoon for the Eagles at the two seed. Beavers tallied a 6-4, 7-6(1) decision over Yusupova, securing the 5-2 victory.
Georgia Southern is back in conference action when they welcome Samford to the Hanner Tennis Complex on February 28. First serve is slated for 10 a.m.
Georgia Southern 5, Jacksonville 2
1.Kristi Kegerreis/Molly Maddox (GSU) d. No. 56 Tatiana Soldatova/Elvira Yusupova (JU) 8-6*
2. Christine Caforio/Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Fernanda Carrero/Juliana Umeki (JU) 9-8(5)
3. Emma Knight/Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Iva Jaresova/Virginia Iwunski (JU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) d. Tatiana Soldatova (JU) 7-6(1), 6-3*
2. Ali Beavers (GSU) d. Elvira Yusupova (JU) 6-4, 7-6(1)
3. Molly Maddox (GSU) d. Iva Jaresova (JU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Melanie Rolle (GSU) d. Juliana Umeki (JU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Virginia Iwunski (JU) d. Jessica Fuller (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Fernanda Carrero (JU) d. Emma Knight (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 6. 4. 3. 5. 1. 2
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 00:11