Men's Tennis Wins Third Straight Match
STATESBORO, Ga. - Georgia Southern Men's Tennis (7-5) won the doubles point, then added three points with victories in the first three singles matches to take the 4-3 win over Southern Illinois (5-2) at the Hanner Tennis Complex. The win over the Salukis brought the Eagles' streak to three matches. Sophomores Juan Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) extended their singles win streaks to five matches in Monday's win.
Delivering the first doubles loss of the season to Southern Illinois' Falk De Beenhouwer and Orhan Spuhic, Verdam and Sebastian Felt (Vienna, Austria) posted an 8-1win at the number-three position. At number-two doubles, Melian Puigventos and Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) paired up for the 8-3 win over Jorge Cavero and Carlos DoVal and secured the doubles point.
Melian Puigventos dealt SIUC's Adam Fabik his first loss of the season in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 in the top spot in singles play and clinched the match for the Eagles. Verdam and Castandel also won in straight sets with Verdam surrendering only three games in his 6-3, 6-0 win over De Beenhouwer at number-two singles. No. 6 Castanhel improved his season win total with his 6-4, 6-3 victory over Spuhic.
Southern Illinois bounced back for its three points with wins at No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles, pushing the Eagles to three sets in two of the three matches. SIUC's Brandon Florez and DoVal both rallied from first-set losses for the wins at number-four and number-five singles. Garrido, at the number three-spot for Georgia Southern, evened his match in the second set, but Cavero took the win in the third and final set.
Georgia Southern's homestand continues with a Thursday, March 17th match against Liberty at 2 p.m. The Eagles face Wofford on Saturday, March 19th, at 11 a.m. in a Southern Conference match. Athletics mascot GUS will be in attendance at Saturday's Junior Eagle Day match.
For more information on Georgia Southern Men's Tennis, follow the Eagles at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
Georgia Southern 4, Southern Illinois 3
March 14, 2011 at Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. Juan Melian Puigventos (GSU) def. Adam Fabik (SIU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Falk De Beenhouwer (SIU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Jorge Cavero (SIU) def. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Brandon Florez (SIU) def. Marco Osorio (GSU) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
5. Carlos Do Val (SIU) def. Sebastien Felt (GSU) 6-7, 6-2, 10-5
6. Edio Castanhel (GSU) def. Orhan Spahic (SIU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,6,1,3,4,5
1. Adam Fabik/Brandon Florez (SIU) def. Alain Garrido/Marco Osorio (GSU) 8-3
2. Edio Castanhel/Juan Melian Puigventos (GSU) def. Jorge Cavero/Carlos Do Val (SIU) 8-3
3. Sebastien Felt/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Falk De Beenhouwer/Orhan Spahic (SIU) 8-1
Order of finish: 1,3,2
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Monday, 14 March 2011 21:44