Georgia Southern Falls at UNC Greensboro
UNCG opened the afternoon claiming a decisive doubles point in the match as both teams won three singles contests apiece. The Spartans quickly walked away with an 8-2 decision at the No. 3 court before Andrey Bubnov and William John clinched the early team point at the two position. The senior Eagle tandem of Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands captured the lone doubles victory for Georgia Southern from the top position. The Eagle duo defeated Orcun Seyrek and Arsel Kumdereli by an 8-7 (5) decision.
The Spartans came within one match to clinch the team win as Bubnov and Kumdereli both earned straight set decisions from the No. 2 and 3 courts, respectively. Freshman Edio Castanhel put Georgia Southern on the board first with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Yaroslav Litus from the sixth seed.
Recording his 13th straight victory, Seyrek clinched the match for UNCG from the number one singles position. The freshman earned his 22nd win of the season with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over De Weerdt. Seyrek’s victory would be the last of the day for the Spartans as the Eagles took the final two contests on the courts. Alain Garrido put the finishing touches on his defeat over Jacob Wright from the four seed in a match tiebreaker. Garrido grabbed the first set, 6-3, before Wright took the second set, but the Eagle rounded out the victory with a 10-6 super tiebreak tally.
Finishing out the afternoon at number five was junior Justin Flynn. The Dublin, Ireland native won the first set 6-4, but found himself down 5-2 in the second set to his Spartan opponent. The Eagle took four of the next five games to even the set at 6-all and force a second set tiebreak where he jumped out to an early 5-0 advantage. John took the next two points before Flynn closed out the tiebreak, 7-3, for a straight set, 6-4, 7-6 (3) victory.
"We had a bad start to the day in doubles. We got down some early breaks that were important and didn't come back. That in result carried over to a difficult start in singles action for us," said head coach Justin Miles.
Georgia Southern returns to conference action on April 18 as it heads to Tennessee to face Chattanooga. First serve is slated for 12 p.m. on Saturday.
UNC Greensboro 4, Georgia Southern 3
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Orcun Seyrek/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 8-7 (10-5)
2. Andrey Bubnov/William John (UNCG) d. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 8-4*
3. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) d. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) d. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-2, 6-2*
2. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-0,6-0
3. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 6-0,6-2
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. William John (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
6. Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 6, 1, 4, 5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 11 April 2009 19:49