Georgia Southern Drops Bethune-Cookman, 6-1
"This was a good match for us because our depth really showed today,” said head coach Justin Miles. “Getting the doubles point was good for us because it gave us a big emotional advantage going into the singles."
The Eagles overpowered the Wildcats at all three doubles positions to claim the early doubles point. Philip Prins and Gregory Bekkers topped Yannick Jackson and Jeff Smallwood, 8-3, right before Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands bypassed Emil Vassilev and Cristian Cruz, 8-4, at the one seed to clinch the early lead for the Eagles. Georgia Southern completed the doubles sweep of the Wildcats with an 8-6 decision by Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja over Stefan James/Kristofer Martin.
Momentum rolled smoothly over to singles action as Georgia Southern quickly secured the match with five singles victories. Bekkers walked off the court first, dispatching Vassilev in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. With a 2-0 advantage, the Wildcats notched its lone victory of the match with a win at the three seed; James held off Alain Garrido, 6-3, 6-0. Georgia Southern responded as freshman Edio Castanhel earned his second straight victory as an Eagle thanks to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Wildcat Greg Streat at the five seed.
Within minutes, junior Flynn clinched the win for Georgia Southern at the four seed with a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Crisitan Cruz. With the win already set, the Eagles added two more singles victories to the board with wins at the one and six seeds, respectively. Jadeja made the score 5-1 with a 6-1, 6-3 blowout at the one position over Jackson. Prins was the last Eagle to finish, as the senior recorded his first singles victory of the dual season in a third set match tiebreak at the six seed.
Georgia Southern will look to extend its winning streak to three matches as they host Florida A&M on Sunday (Feb. 8). First serve is slated for noon.
Georgia Southern 6, Bethune-Cookman 1
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Emil Vassilev/Cristian Cruz (BCC) 8-4 *
2. Philip Prins/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Yannick Jackson/Jeff Smallwodd (BCC) 8-3
3. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Stefan James/Kristofer Martin (BCC) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Yannick Jackson (BCC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Emil Vassilev (BCC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Stefan James (BCC) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Cristian Cruz (BCC) 6-1, 6-2 *
5. Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Greg Streat (BCC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Philip Prins (GSU) d. Kristofer Martin (BCC) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 4, 1, 6
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 07 February 2009 00:24