Men's Tennis Falls 5-2 at The Citadel
CHARLESTON, S.C. The Georgia Southern men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision against The Citadel on Friday afternoon, at the Earle Tennis Center in Charleston.
The Eagles (8-10, 4-4 SoCon) lost two close doubles matches as The Citadel claimed the doubles point, giving them the early advantage. Georgia Southern’s tandem of Philip Prins (Cape Town, South Africa) and Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) downed Martin King and Frederic Petrilli from the No. 3 seed by a final of 8-3. Senior Emmanuel Nkoueleue (Douala, Cameroon) and sophomore Borja Malet (Barcelona, Spain) were edged 8-5 at the No. 1 position to The Citadel’s duo of James Eason and Alberto Diaz.
In Singles action, GSU earned victories from the No. 4 and No. 6 positions. Bekkers and Prins remained perfect on the day notching wins in singles play. Bekkers ousted Diaz 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 from the No. 4 seed, while Prins downed Pertilli 6-3, 7-6 from the No. 6 position. Three of Georgia Southern’s six singles matches were decided in three sets.
The Eagles return to action Sunday, April 6, as they play host to conference foe Chattanooga. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.
1. Daniel Dossetor (CIT) def. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Yufo Sutantio (CIT) def. Borja Malet (GSU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
3. James Eason (CIT) def. Matthew Sands (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) def. Alberto Diaz (CIT) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Martin King (CIT) def. Mark Paetz (GSU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Philip Prins (GSU) def. Frederic Petrilli (CIT) 6-3, 7-6
1. Eason/Diaz (CIT) def. Emmanuel Nkoueleue/Malet (GSU) 8-5
2. Dossetor/Sutantio (CIT) def. Weerdt/Sands (GSU) 8-4
3. Bekkers/Prins (GSU) def. King/Petrilli (CIT) 8-3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 04 April 2008 00:06