Men's Tennis Rebounds with 7-0 Sweep of Kennesaw State
MARIETTA, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team (2-1) bounced back with a dominating 7-0 win over Kennesaw State (2-1) at the Laurel Park Tennis Center on Sunday, February 6th. The Eagles took control of the match from the onset to deliver the Owls their first loss of the season, taking the doubles point and then winning in similar fashion in singles.
"I am very proud of the way the guys responded today after a tough, hard-fought loss yesterday," said Eagles first-year Head Coach Nick Zieziula. "We had great team energy right from the start and we did a better job rolling our momentum from the doubles into the singles and we played with the lead very well today on every single one of the courts."
Sophomores Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) topped the Owls' number-one pair Simon Janik and Elliot Kahler 8-5. The number-two doubles team of freshman Marco Osorio (Tegucigalpa,Honduras) and junior Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) went to 3-0 on the season with the defeat of Kennesaw State's Gianni Kubin and Gokalp Ozdemir 8-6.
Puigventos came back for the No. 1 singles match against Janik to give the Owl his first loss of the season in a 6-2, 6-1 decision. Garrido, at number-two singles, and Verdam, at the three seed, won in straight sets as well. Garrido won 6-2, 6-0 over Kennesaw State's Kubin and Verdam posted a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Ozdemir.
Getting his second win of the year, Osorio took the 6-4, 6-3 win over Kahler at the number-four singles and Thoams Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) posted a 7-5, 6-1 victory over the Owls' Michawel Langel at number-six singles. Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) rallied after a 1-6 loss in the first set to win the second set 6-3. The junior won the super tiebreaker 10-7.
The Eagles travel to Stetson for a 10 a.m. match on Saturday, February 12th, before returning home to play host to Hampton at 2 p.m. Sunday, February 13th. For more information on Georgia Southern Men's Tennis, follow the Eagles at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
Georgia Southern 7, Kennesaw State 0
February 6, 2011 at Marietta, Ga. (Laurel Park Tennis Center)
1. Juan M. Puigventos (GSU) def. Simon Janik (KSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alain Garrido (GSU) def. Gianni Kubin (KS) 6-2, 6-0
3. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Gokalp Ozdemir (KS) 6-0, 6-2
4. Marco Osorio (GSU) def. Elliot Kahler (KS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Edio Castanhel (GSU) def. Ryan Spencer (KS) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0
6. Thomas Bekkers (GSU) def. Michael Langel (KS) 7-5, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2,1,4,3,5,6
1. Juan M. Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GS) def. Simon Janik/Elliot Kahler (KSU) 8-5
2. Marco Osorio/Alain Garrido (GS) def. Gianni Kubin/Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 8-6
3. Mark Paetz/Edio Castanhel (GS) def. Michael Langel/Ryan Spencer (KSU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 06 February 2011 19:52