Eagles Drop Pair of Conference Matches in Charleston
The losses dropped Georgia Southern to 4-10, 0-4 on the year.
Resuming play early Sunday against The Citadel, Georgia Southern held a 3-1 lead, but the Bulldogs used the doubles point to secure the win. With the doubles matches even at 1-all, the point came down to the top seed where Jayraj Jadeja (London, England) and Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) were drawing Yufo Sutantio and Alberto Diaz into a tiebreak. The Bulldog pair clinched the point with the tiebreak win.
The Eagles took a comfortable lead, 3-1, with singles wins from the six, two and four seeds. Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) downed Tripp Larkin in straight 6-1, 6-2 sets, before Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) gave the Eagles their first lead with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 2. Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) extended GS’s lead to 3-1 winning a three set decision, 2-6, 6-4, 7-5, over Derek Dickey at the four seed, but the lead would be short-lived.
The Citadel captured the next three singles matches to claim the Southern Conference victory. David Orces won a straight set decision at No. 3, before Luis Morett tied the match at 3-all with a triumph at No. 5. Battling in a third set at the top seed were Jadeja and Sutantio. Jadeja took the first set, but Sutantio rebounded with the second, 6-4, and won the third by the same ledger to secure the win for the Bulldogs.
In afternoon competition, the Eagles suffered a hard fought doubles point as the Cougars took the early lead with two doubles wins. CofC clinched the win using four singles victories, but the Eagles claimed wins from Melian Puigventos at the two seed and Verdam at the five seed. The pair also teamed up for a win at No. 2 doubles to begin play.
Melian Puigventos handled Mickael Trintignac in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 singles, while Verdam downed Joe Nicolazzi in a super tiebreak. The Eagle faltered in the first set, 6-2, but claimed the second, 7-6, and proved victorious in the tiebreak, 10-6. But those would be the only victories for GS as the Eagles suffered a loss at Patriots Point.
Georgia Southern will take a few days break and return to the courts on Sunday, March 21 welcoming Samford to the Hanner Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for noon.
The Citadel 4, Georgia Southern 3
1. Yufo Sutantio/Alberto Diaz (CIT) d. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) 9-8*
2. David Orces/Derek Dickey (CIT) d. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 9-8
3. Gregory Bekkers/Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Josh Cook/Luis Morett (CIT) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Yufo Sutantio (CIT) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4*
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) d. Alberto Diaz (CIT) 6-3, 6-2
3. David Orces (CIT) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 7-6 (2)
4. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Derek Dickey (CIT) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Luis Morett (CIT) d. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Tripp Larkin (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 2, 4, 3, 5, 1
*Clinched the match
College of Charleston 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Lukas Koncilia/Tom Delme (COC) d. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 8-2
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Steven Myers/Billy Kenny (COC) 8-4
3. Mickael Trintignac/Mickael Boyer (COC) d. Edio Castanhel/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 9-7
1. Lukas Koncilia (COC) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Juan Melian Puigventos (GSU) d. Mickael Trintignac (COC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Tom Delme (COC) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Mickael Boyer (COC) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
5. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Joe Nicolazzi (COC) 2-6, 7-6, 10-6
6. John Harden (COC) d. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 14 March 2010 22:25