Georgia Southern Falls to Saint Mary's
Moraga, CA Despite winning the doubles point, the Georgia Southern men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to Saint Mary’s Wednesday afternoon at the Korth Tennis Complex in California. The Gaels won five team points with five victories in singles action. With the loss, the Eagles fall to 6-8 overall. Saint Mary’s improved to 12-3 overall and 7-0 on its home court.
The Eagles captured the doubles point with victories from the two and three seeds. The duo of Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands defeated Achim Christner and Marek Dvorak at the two seed, 8-6. Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins pulled out a 9-7 decision at the three seed over Andrea Zannoni and Youssef El Bouzkouri.
Georgia Southern could not carry the momentum from doubles play into singles action, dropping five of six matches. Borja Malet was the lone Eagle to capture a straight set victory over Marek Dvorak. Malet defeated Dvorak at the three seed, 6-2, 7-6.
The Eagles return home Sunday, March 23 to host Appalachian State. This match is the rescheduling of the March 8 match that was postponed. Doubles action is to begin at noon.
No. 75 Saint Mary’s 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Joel Kusnierz/Lucas Tirelli (SMC) d. Borja Malet/Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) 8-2
2. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Achim Christner/Marek Dvorak (SMC) 8-6
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) d. Andrea Zannoni/Youssef El Bouzkouri (SMC) 9-7
1. Joel Kusnierz (SMC) d. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Lucas Tirelli (SMC) d. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Borja Malet (GSU) d. Marek Dvorak (SMC) 6-2, 7-6
4. Achim Christner (SMC) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) d. Matthew Sands (GSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Youssef El Bouzkouri (SMC) d. Mark Paetz (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 23 March 2008 00:19