Eagles Complete Regular Season with 7-0 Sweep at Presbyterian
CLINTON, S.C. A 7-0 sweeping of the Presbyterian Blue Hose marked the end to the 2009 regular season for the Georgia Southern men’s tennis team Sunday afternoon (April 19). The Eagles did not drop a set en route to the non-conference win which improved Georgia Southern to 10-8-1 overall this season. The Blue Hose fell to 5-14 on their senior day.
Georgia Southern opened play with a sweep of the doubles matches, all by 8-4 decisions. Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins wrapped up first at the three seed before Jayraj Jadeja and Justin Flynn clinched the doubles point from the No.2 position. Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands completed the doubles sweep at the top position, giving the Eagles a 1-0 team advantage before singles play.
The Eagles took every singles match in straight set victories and clinched the match with the first three courts to finish. Freshmen Edio Castanhel and Alain Garrido widened Georgia Southern’s lead to 3-0 when they both routed their opponents from the six and four seeds, respectively. Castanhel bested Mark Cannatelli in straight 6-0 sets before Garrido downed Zachary Sprouse by a 6-1, 6-2 decision.
Junior Jadeja made the victory final after a 6-3, 6-1 triumph over Patrick Fediuk clinched the match. De Weerdt and Bekkers both added singles nods from the top two positions. De Weerdt dropped Matthew Martin by a 6-3, 6-2 count, while Bekkers cruised to a 6-3 straight-set victory over Michael Nicol. Flynn closed out match play for the Eagles at the No.5 seed where he rolled to a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Andrew Lee to complete the sweep of Presbyterian.
“We played solid today and I was proud of the team. I think this was a good performance and will give us good momentum heading into the conference tournament,” said head coach Justin Miles.
Georgia Southern earned the fifth seed in the Southern Conference Men’s Tennis Championships which begins Thursday, April 23. The Eagles will take on the No.4 seeded UNC Greensboro Friday (April 24) at 9 a.m. at the Burlington Tennis Center in Burlington, N.C.
Georgia Southern 7, Presbyterian 0
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Matthew Martin/Zachary Sprouse (PC) 8-4
2. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Patrick Fediuk/Michael Nicol (PC) 8-4*
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) d. Brad Luciuk/Adam Herendeen (PC) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Matthew Martin (PC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Michael Nicol (PC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Patrick Fediuk (PC) 6-3, 6-1*
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Zachary Sprouse (PC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Andrew Lee (PC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Mark Cannatelli (PC) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3, 1, 2, 5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 19 April 2009 19:57