Men's Tennis Sweeps Presbyterian College
STATESBORO, Ga. The Eagles dropped only one set en route to a 7-0 sweep over the Presbyterian College Blue Hose Saturday morning at the Hanner Tennis Complex. With the win Georgia Southern improved to 3-4, while Presbyterian College fell to 1-6.
The Eagles dominated the doubles court, taking all three matches and claiming the doubles point for the third time this season. Senior Emmanuel Nkoueleue (Douala, Cameroon) and Borja Malet (Barcelona, Spain) dropped only three games to defeat Matthew Martin and Andrew Lee, 8-3. The Eagle duo improved to 12-5 in doubles overall. Earning their second doubles victory this season, Philip Prins (Cape Town, South Africa) and Matthew Sands (Nassau, Bahamas) won an 8-6 decision over Brad Luciuk and Henry Walker. Cruising past their opponents in a straight 8-0 victory, Joris De Weerdt (Mortsel, Belgium) and Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) captured their third dual victory this season.
Five of six singles seeds ousted their opponents in straight sets. Victories at the one, two, four, five and six spots propelled the Eagles to a 7-0 sweep. De Weerdt dropped his first set to Henry Walker at the three seed, but rebounded in the second and took the match in a third set tiebreak, 1-0.
Georgia Southern will face Florida Atlantic Sunday at noon. First serve is set for noon.
Georgia Southern 7, Presbyterian College 0
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue/Borja Malet (GSU) d. Matthew Martin/Andrew Lee (PC) 8-3
2. Philip Prins/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Brad Luciuk/Henry Walker (PC) 8-6
3. Joris De Weerdt/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Patrick Fediuk/Adam Herendeen (PC) 8-0
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) d. Matt Martin (PC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Pat Fediuk(PC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Henry Walker (PC) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(4)
4. Borja Malet (GSU) d. Andrew Lee (PC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Philip Prins (GSU) d. Brad Luciuk (PC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Mark Cannetelli (PC) 6-2, 6-4
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 23 February 2008 00:05