Eagles Drop 5-2 Decision To No. 75 Owls
The Owls jumped off to a 1-0 start by claiming the doubles point. Malet/Nkoueleue pulled through at one doubles defeating Marc Abdelnour/Joe Cadogan, 8-4. Philip Prins/Matthew Sands fell in a hard-fought tiebreak, 7-4, to Olivier Sajour/Daniel Vartag at the number two spot. With the win at two and another at three, Florida Atlantic claimed the doubles point heading into singles action.
The Eagles captured two singles wins at the one and three spots. Nkoueleue ousted Sajour in straight 6-3 sets. The Douala, Cameroon native improved to 16-5 on the season with the win. De Weerdt took the three seed win in three sets, 6-0, 0-6, 6-0, over Cadogan.
Georgia Southern opens conference play next with Wofford on March 1. First serve is set for noon at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
No. 75 Florida Atlantic 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Borja Malet/Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) d. Marc Abdelnour/Joe Cadogan (FAU) 8-4
2. Olivier Sajour/Daniel Vartag (FAU) d. Philip Prins/Matthew Sands (GSU) 9-8 (4)
3. Eddie Majcher/Karol Szmurlo (FAU) Gregory Bekkers/Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 8-1
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) d. Olivier Sajour (FAU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Marc Abdelnour (FAU) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Joe Cadogan (FAU) 6-0, 0-6, 6-0
4. Karol Szmurlo (FAU) d. Borja Malet (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Daniel Vartag (FAU) d. Philip Prins (GSU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Eddie Majcher (FAU) d. Mark Paetz (GSU) 7-6 (0), 6-0
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 24 February 2008 00:25