Eagles Drop Close Decision To Bulldogs, 4-3
For the 11th time this season, Georgia Southern claimed the doubles point heading into singles action. The duo of Borja Malet and Joris De Weerdt captured an 8-0 victory over Radek Pivonka and Gabriel Meana at the one seed. Philip Prins and Gregory Bekkers helped clinch the team point with an 8-4 win over Jan Langer and David Grund at the three seed.
The Bulldogs claimed five of six first sets over the Eagles to start off singles play. Capturing Georgia Southern’s two singles points were De Weerdt at the one seed and Bekkers at the three seed. De Weerdt handled Ivan Milivojevic in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5, at the one spot, while Bekkers defeated Jan Langer in three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5, at the three hole.
Next up for the Eagles is the Southern Conference Tournament to be held in Charleston, S.C. Play starts April 17.
SCSU 4, GSU 3
1. Malet/ De Weerdt vs Pivonka/ Meana- GSU 8-0
2. Sands/ Paetz vs Milivojevic/ Dobrotka- SCSU 8-7(4)
3. Prins/ Bekkers vs Langer/ Grund- GSU 8-4
1. De Weerdt vs Milivojevic- GSU 6-3, 7-5
2. Borja Malet vs Radek Pivonka- SCSU 6-2, 6-0
3. Gregory Bekkers vs Jan Langer- GSU 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Philip Prins vs Gabriel Meana- SCSU 6-4, 6-3
5. Matthew Sands vs David Grund- SCSU 6-2,6-0
6. Mark Paetz vs Tomas Dobrotka- SCSU 6-3, 7-5
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 12 April 2008 00:13