Men's Tennis Dominates Hampton at Home
STATESBORO, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team (3-2) started the day winning the doubles point over Hampton (1-2) and cruised to a final score of 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Hanner Tennis Complex. The victory kept the Eagles undefeated at home.
The Eagles triumphed over the Pirates for the fourth consecutive season, but it was the first win over Hampton for first-year Head Coach Nick Zieziula.
Georgia Southern earned the doubles point with wins at the top two seeds. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) defeated Hampton's Jung-Ho Oh and Kenneth Greene, 8-1, to improve to 4-1 on the season at number-one singles. At the No. 2 seed, Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) and Marco Osorio (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) posted an 8-1 win over Alvin Fludd and Edson Alves to remain perfect with a 4-0 mark.
In a close match, Mark Paetz (Munich, Germany) and Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) fell to Hampton's Gellert Varga and Marcelo Reda, 8-6, in number-three doubles.
Georgia Southern's Puigventos moved to 5-0 on the season with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Varga at number-one singles. Osorio picked up the first win of the day in singles action with straight sets of 6-1, 6-1, over Hampton's No. 4 Fludd. Garrido followed with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Greene at the number-two seed.
Verdam went 6-3, 6-1 in singles play against Jung-Ho Oh and picked up his fourth victory against only one loss for 2011. Sebastien Felt (Vienna, Austria) fell early in the first set to Pirate Edson Alves, 4-6, before he tallied the 6-3 comeback win in the second set. Felt won the third and deciding set, 10-4. In the final match of the day, Derrick Davison (Peachtree City, Ga.) battled Hampton's Reda, but fell 5-7, 4-6.
"I thought that Sebastien Felt coming in and getting his first team victory was very notable," said Eagle Head Coach Zieziula. "He got behind today, but he did a terrific job by sticking with the game plan, attacking the net and he got the victory."
The Eagles will be on the road for their next three matches against South Carolina State, North Florida and Mercer before returning home Sunday, February 27th, to face Florida A&M.
Fans may follow Georgia Southern Men's Tennis by visiting GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or check in at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics for short updates.
Georgia Southern 6, Hampton 1
Hanner Tennis Complex (Statesboro, Ga.)
1. Juan M. Puigventos (GS) def. Varga, Gellert (Hampton) 6-2, 6-0
2. Alain Garrido (GS) def. Greene, Kenneth (Hampton) 6-0, 6-3
3. Matthijs Verdam (GS) def. Oh, Jung-Ho (Hampton) 6-3, 6-1
4. Marco Osorio (GS) def. Fludd, Alvin (Hampton) 6-1, 6-1
5. Sebastien Felt (GS) def. Alves, Edson (Hampton) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
6. Reda, Marcelo (Hampton) def. Derrick Davison (GS) 7-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,2,1,3,5,6
1. Juan M. Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GS) def. Oh, Jung-Ho/Green, Kenneth (Hampton) 8-1
2. Alain Garrido/Marco Osorio (GS) def. Fludd, Alvin/Alves, Edson (Hampton) 8-1
3. Varga, Gellert/Reda, Marcelo (Hampton) def. Mark Paetz/Edio Castanhel (GS) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 13 February 2011 22:03