Eagles Sweep Florida A&M for Third Straight Win
“I think we played a really close match,” said head coach Justin Miles. “The matches were a lot closer than the score indicated. It was a competitive match and I think we played really hard.”
The Rattlers opened the doubles play with an 8-5 victory over Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins at the two seed, before the Eagles took the doubles point with two solid wins from the one and three seeds, respectively. The junior tandem of Justin Flynn and Jayraj Jadeja evened the doubles point by crushing David Jackson and Paul Paige, 8-3, moments before the point was clinched by Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands at the one seed. The senior Eagle tandem shined as they ousted Simbarashee Happy and Michael Moore, 8-1, to give Georgia Southern the early 1-0 advantage.
Georgia Southern kept its poise through singles competition, dropping only two sets in six match wins. Jadeja and De Weerdt quickly pushed the match to 3-0 when they recorded back-to-back straight set wins from the three and one positions, respectively. Jadeja finished off Moore, 6-3, 6-2, at the three seed just prior to De Weerdt downing Happy from the one seed, 6-4, 6-1. Junior Flynn clinched the match for the Eagles from the four position when he cruised past Jackson in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
The Eagles rounded out the afternoon with a few tiebreak matches. Sands and Bekkers both captured singles wins in match tiebreaks from the five and two seeds, respectively. Sands faced off against Paige at the five seed, taking the first set 6-0, but dropped the second 6-4 to push the match into a tiebreak; Sands easily downed Paige 10-5 in the tiebreak to record the win. Bekkers was victorious at the two position against Podgainii after taking the first set, dropping the second in a tiebreak and winning the match tiebreaker 10-6. Freshman Castanhel ended the afternoon for Georgia Southern with matching 7-6(5) tiebreak sets over Cameron at the sixth seed.
Georgia Southern returns to action and wraps up this four-match homestand when they welcome Coastal Carolina on Friday, February 13. First serve at the Hanner Tennis Complex is slated for 2:30 p.m.
Georgia Southern 7, Florida A&M 0
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Simbarashee Happy/Michael Moore (FAM) 8-1 *
2. Artiom Podgainii/Joshua Cameraon (FAM) d. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) 8-5
3. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. David Jackson/Paul Paige (FAM) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Simbarashee Happy (FAM) 6-4, 6-1
2. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Artiom Podgainii (FAM) 6-4, 6-7(6), 1-0(6)
3. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Michael Moore (FAM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. David Jackson (FAM) 6-3, 6-4 *
5. Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Paul Paige (FAM) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
6. Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Joshua Cameron (FAM) 7-6(5), 7-6(5)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 2, 6
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 08 February 2009 00:04