Georgia Southern Falls To Conference Foe Furman, 6-1
Furman jumped off to a 1-0 start claiming the doubles point with victories at the two and three seeds. Victorious for the Eagles was the number one tandem, Emmanuel Nkoueleue and Borja Malet. The duo dropped Chris Rhyne and Andrei Chvetsov, 8-2. The win pushed the Eagle tandem to 9-1 in dual action and 15-5 overall.
The Paladins quickly clinched the match with three straight victories at the six, five and three seeds. Daniel Knause clinched the match at the three seed in two sets. Gregory Bekkers pushed the second set into a tiebreak, but fell 7-5. Joris De Weerdt earned Georgia Southern’s only singles victory of the afternoon. De Weerdt ousted Bo Ladyman, 7-5, 6-4, at the two seed. The junior improved to 6-1 in dual action and 11-7 overall.
The Eagles hit the road next for the first time since the beginning of February. Georgia Southern will travel to Elon and the College of Charleston, March 14 and 15, respectively. Doubles action against Elon is set to begin at 2 p.m.
Furman 6, Georgia Southern 1
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue/Borja Malet (GSU) d. Chris Rhyne/Andrei Chvetsov (FUR) 8-2
2. Andy Juc/Chris Motes (FUR) d. Matthew Sands/Philip Prins (GSU) 8-3
3. Bo Ladyman/Jason Basile (FUR) d. Joris De Weerdt/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Andy Juc (FUR) d. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) 6-7 (7), 6-1, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Bo Ladyman (FUR) 7-5, 6-4
3. Daniel Knause (FUR) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-1, 7-6(5)*
4. Chris Motes (FUR) d. Borja Malet (GSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
5. Jordan Walters (FUR) d. Philip Prins (GSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) d. Matthew Sands (GSU) 6-2,6-2
Order of finish: 6,5,3,2,4,1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 09 March 2008 00:15