Flynn Clinches 4-3 Conference Win Over Mountaineers
Claiming only its second conference doubles point of the season, Georgia Southern opened play taking the early lead, 1-0. Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) and Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) paired up at the three seed to down Andrew McKinnon and Ezekiel Sansing, 8-2, for the first win. A Mountaineer win at the top seed left the doubles point at No. 2 where Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) teamed up. The Eagle tandem battled for an 8-6 win over Alain Humblet and Phillip Kloc to hand GS the 1-0 match lead.
Melian Puigventos pushed Georgia Southern out to a 2-0 advantage winning first in singles play. The freshman handled Trent Constance, 7-6(3), 6-0, before ASU recorded its first win at No. 3. Humblet survived a three-set battle over Verdam, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 to make the score 2-1. But another singles win at the top seed knotted the score at 2-all after Peter Jacobs outlasted senior Jayraj Jadeja (London, England), 7-6 (11), 6-4.
The conference foes traded points at Nos. 5 and 4, leaving the match decision at the final court. McKinnon gave ASU its first and last lead of the match with a straight-set win at No. 5, but Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) pulled the match even at 3-all with a three-set win at No. 4. Garrido dropped the first set, 6-1, to Kloc but responded in the second and third with 6-2, 6-3 set wins for the match.
With the match tied at 3-3, all eyes turned to court six where Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) and Sansing were facing off. Flynn bypassed Sansing in straight-sets, 6-4, 7-5, to clinch the conference win for the Eagles, 4-3.
Georgia Southern returns to the courts on Saturday, April 3 welcoming South Carolina State to the Hanner Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
Georgia Southern 4, Appalachian State 3
Records: GSU 5-12, 1-5; ASU 7-7, 0-4
1. Peter Jacobs/Trent Constance (ASU) d. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) 8-3
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Alain Humblet/Phillip Kloc (ASU) 8-6*
3. Edio Castanhel/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Andrew McKinnonn/Ezekiel Sansing (ASU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Peter Jacobs (ASU) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 7-6 (11), 6-4
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) d. Trent Constance (ASU) 7-6 (3), 6-0
3. Alain Humblet (ASU) d. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Phillip Kloc (ASU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Andrew McKinnonn (ASU) d. Gregory Bekkers (ASU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Ezekiel Sansing (ASU) 6-4, 7-5*
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 28 March 2010 20:15