Men's Tennis Defeats Fort Valley State in Season Opener
STATESBORO, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team opened its spring season with a 7-0 win over Fort Valley State at the Hanner Tennis Complex on a windy Friday afternoon. The Eagles returned to competition for the first time since the end of October, recording the first career win for new Eagle Head Coach Nick Zieziula.
Sophomore Juan M. Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) defeated the Wildcats' Brandon Pringle 6-0, 6-0 in the number-one singles and paired with sophomore Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, Netherlands) to win the number-one doubles 8-0. Verdam won the number-two singles match 6-1, 6-0, over Dwayne White. Freshman Marco Osorio (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) made his debut for the Eagles and finished second, winning the number-four singles, 6-2, 6-0.
Wrapping up the competition for the Eagles, junior Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) won at number-three singles, 6-2, 6-3, defeating Joshua Turner. Classmate Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) picked up the fourth point for Georgia Southern with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Fort Valley State's Byrone Scott. Thomas Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) and Kelvin Oliver battled to a 6-2, 6-3 decision for the Eagles sixth point.
The Eagles won swept the doubles 8-0, 8-0, 8-3 to take a 1-0 advantage before beginning the singles events. Garrido and Osorio took the number-two doubles match 8-0 over the Wildcats' Turner and Scott while senior Mark Paetz (Munich, Germany) and Castanhel posted an 8-3 victory over the team of White and Oliver.
After its season opener at home, the Eagles take to the road to play at Georgia State next Saturday, February 5th and then at Kennesaw State on Sunday, February 6th.
Fans may follow Georgia Southern Men's Tennis by visiting GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or check in at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics for short updates.
Georgia Southern 7, Fort Valley State 0
Jan 28, 2011 at Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. Juan M. Puigventos (GSU) def. Brandon Pringle (FVS) 6-0, 6-0
2. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Dwayne White (FVS) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alain Garrido (GSU) def. Joshua Turner (FVS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marco Osorio (GSU) def. Drew Belk (FVS) 6-2, 6-0
5. Edio Castanhel (GSU) def. Byrone Scott (FVS) 6-1, 6-0
6. Thomas Bekkers (GSU) def. Kelvin Oliver (FVS) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish 1,4,5,2,6,3
1. Juan M. Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Drew Belk/Brandon Pringle (FVS) 8-0
2. Alain Garrido/Marco Osorio (GSU) def. Joshua Turner/Byrone Scott (FVS) 8-0
3. Mark Paetz/Edio Castanhel (GSU) def. Dwayne White/Kelvin Oliver (FVS) 8-3
Order of finish: 2,1,3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 28 January 2011 19:36