Eagles Fall to Panthers
Georgia State took the early lead in doubles with an 8-4 win at the No. 2 position, but a pair of 9-7 duals would decide the point at the remaining two seeds. Calvin Kemp and Henri Mangin outlasted Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) and Edio Castanhel (Vigo, Spain) at the No. 3 seed, 9-7, resulting in the Panthers taking the early match lead, 1-0.
Georgia Southern rounded out doubles play with Jadeja (London, England) and Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) claiming a 9-7 decision at the top seed over Jackson Moore and Trenton Spinks. But the Panthers used the momentum from doubles and took five of six first sets to open singles play.
The Panthers would secure four straight-set victories, with Victor Valente’s 6-4, 6-2 win over Alain Garrido at No. 2 sealing the victory.
Jadeja and Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) were the only Eagles able to rally for wins, both coming in super tiebreaks. Senior Jadeja opened play with a 6-4 first set win, but Moore responded in the second set with a 6-4 decision. Jadeja jumped out with an early lead in the super tiebreak, but the Panther would rally back to tie the final straw twice. Moore had match point at 9-8, but Jadeja pulled even at 9-all and ultimately secured the match, 12-10.
Verdam bounced back from a 6-4 setback in the first to top Spinks in the second set by the same margin. The freshman handled Spinks in the super tiebreak, defeating the Panther, 10-5 for the win.
Georgia Southern hits the road for a pair of Southern Conference matches this weekend traveling first to Davidson on March 27. The Eagles take on the Wildcats at 1 p.m. before facing Appalachian State on Sunday at noon.
Georgia State 5, Georgia Southern 2
Records: Georgia State 10-5, Georgia Southern 4-11
1. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Jackson Moore/Trenton Spinks (GST) 9-7
2. Victor Valente/Henri Mangin (GST) d. Alain Garrido/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 8-4
3. Calvin Kemp/Juan Pablo Gutierrez (GST) d. Gregory Bekkers/Edio Castanhel (GSU) 9-7*
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Jackson Moore (GST) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0(10)
2. Victor Valente (GST) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-4, 6-2 *
3. Mattijs Verdam (GSU) d. Trenton Spinks (GST) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (5)
4. Juan Pablo Gutierrez (GST) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Henri Mangin (GST) d. Justin Flynn (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lucas Santana (GST) d. Edio Castanhel (GST) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Wednesday, 24 March 2010 19:09